turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's better pot call or box call ??

Started by Gobble Stopper, April 24, 2012, 04:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Stopper

I've listened to abunch of hunters say they like a box call and others say a pot call. so i would like to see what ya'll's opinion is.

captin_hook

It's all up to user preference. I'm a pot and peg guy. Glass being my favorite surface. I like to have a box with me to change up a little but my favorite is a glass pot.

JnL

I honestly think it comes down to preference.  Some prefer one over the other, but in all honesty both are tried and true.  Sometimes turkeys are wierd in that on one day they like one call and the next it could be completely different.  Or they can be tight lipped no matter what you call with.  Whatever call a hunter has had more success with will always be his favorite, but that doesnt always mean its better.  Ive always liked a raspy box but thats just me.

Not that boxes are hard to play but in my opinion a good slate or aluminum pot has less of a learnin curve.  After you get the sound down its all about rythym.

WildTigerTrout

I like and use both. You should never restrict your calling to one type of call.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

tha bugman

depends on what he likes more....I like the pot the best seems more versatile???? soft calling clucking and purring...

WyoHunter

I'm mainly a box call guy but use pot calls too. Whatever it takes!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

0369GYSGT

I carry pots and a box and let the conditions and the Toms dictate. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a raspy old boxcall when the wind is blowing and also when you want to want to tick off old boss hen.

Turkey Call Maker

The more calls you take, sooner or later you will use all of them. Different turkeys and different situations require different calls. It's like golf.... I carry two box calls 3 slates (slate, glass and aluminum) with 10 different strikers, 2 to 4 different mouth calls and of course a WINGBONE call  ;D
Jim

lonnie sneed jr.

Depends on the turkey you are calling to. I am not trying to be a smart a-- but I have called to gobblers with my best slate, or glass and get nonthing. Change to a box and a gobbler would go nuts. This has also worked in reverse. It truly depends on the turkey.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

tha bugman

Gooserbat

I say it depends on two things, first which one you have the most confidence in and second is which one the turkey likes.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRKYHTR

Both work but I would go with a box call first. More turkeys have been killed with a box call than any other call made. Just sayin.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on April 26, 2012, 04:16:06 PM
Depends on the turkey you are calling to. I am not trying to be a smart a-- but I have called to gobblers with my best slate, or glass and get nonthing. Change to a box and a gobbler would go nuts. This has also worked in reverse. It truly depends on the

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:
Never a more true statement......
Anybody seen America lately?

gobblerhunter

That is a hard question to answer.  I think it is up to the individual and what they have confidence in.  In my case, I carry two box, 3 to 4 pot calls, 5 or 6 strikers, 2 trumpets and a tube call with an assortment of locator calls.

In Texas, the wind normally blows so I start off the day with a box call.  This reaches out further than any other call. Then I switch to a pot or trumpet to finish him off.  If the birds are not talking, I normally will stay with either a slate call or trumpet.  Mixing them up, trying to find something the shy boy likes.  Once I can see the turkey, I never use a box call.  Here visibility is limited and soft talk is needed to finish him.  I added trumpet calls to my arsenal last year and find them to be very good in having a different finishing sound.  My confidence level is still growing with the trumpet.  I very seldom use the tube call and this is just a lack of confidence and ability.

Again, it is what you have confidence in.   I have hunted with people that use nothing but a box or pot call never mixing them.  However, in my opinion, a slate/glass of ceramic/glass is hard to beat when finishing off a big bird. Mix in a trumpet and these combo's are hard to beat.
Just my opinion.

Bill