turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal lead with flitecontrol

Started by remmy1187, April 24, 2012, 02:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

remmy1187

Saw the 1 5/16oz. number 6 lead Federals today with the Flitecontrol wad at a local gun shop.  I was curious if anyone out there has tried them.  If so what was the results and what choke.  Gun make does not matter, just wanting to know if anybody had good results.  Thanks, Brian

dpittman

R AJ

I shoot that load among others. The other day I shot that through a Sum Toy choke at 33 yds using a USSG 26" 20 ga SXS and got 103 in a 10 " circle. This load has done well in the TGSSX 20 gauge. Even the 570s chokes do pretty fair with this shell.

I am confident with it to 35 yards but beyond that I generally use either a Fed HW#7 or Hevi-13 #7 for my hunting.

superblackeagle

Bought that same exact load at Academy in Jackson, MS earlier this year. Wanted to try it as a cheaper alternative than the HW shells while playing with the flitecontrol wads. I am shooting a Remington 1100 youth model 20 gauge with a Rem Superfull choke(lead only). Got good numbers at 40 yards (about 100 in 10in. circle), but POA/POI was a bit low. However, I also shot it a closer distances and the pattern was way too tight inside of 25 yards. When I say tight, I mean like a slug and the wad punched through the plywood. So I tried it out of a full and got a more even pattern out to about 35 yards or so. I wouldn't shoot one at 40 with the full choke, but the pattern was more user friendly (at least for me).

surehuntsalot

killed all 3 of my birds this year with that exact shell with a 870 youth using a .570 Tightwad,also get great patterns with them out of a .575 Carlson choke
it's not the harvest,it's the chase