OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4 gauge why not?

Started by LBSS, April 24, 2012, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSS

Im talking to a custom muzzle loader builder about a sxs 4 gauge 28"barrels . Should fire about 5oz of shot

deadbuck

You gonna get the 17" or 18" wheels on it?

LBSS

Actually the gunsmith said a easy build would be a long barreled blunderbuss percussion ignition. Might be kinda fun to own a longer version of one. Im starting to feel like the beverly hill billies lol. What was hus name uncle jed?  Didnt he use a blunderbuss

HogBiologist

Would be an awsome pattern LOL.  However probably illegal in most states for hunting turkeys.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Waddle Whacker

I like it! Goin' Pilgrim style on em!

runngun

Boy I would hate to buy TSS or Hevi for that BIG BORE!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

LBSS

Dont know if yall familiar with the english fowler pattern rifle.
thats what one muzzleloader builder wants to do.  Ive seen these big bores called called market hunter shotgun. Should be a simple gun to build. 1.050" bore diameter. Now thinking of a 58" barrel go ahead make it a 6' gun.  5oz of shot @ 1100 fps is 144 ftlbs recoil in a 15lb gun. But it should weigh 20lbsabout or so. Also its legal for turkeys here in GA.  Regulations just say nothing smaller than 20ga.

Mmm what would 5oz of hevi7s pattern like

Waddle Whacker

Quote from: LBSS on April 24, 2012, 09:50:21 PM
Dont know if yall familiar with the english fowler pattern rifle.
thats what one muzzleloader builder wants to do.  Ive seen these big bores called called market hunter shotgun. Should be a simple gun to build. 1.050" bore diameter. Now thinking of a 58" barrel go ahead make it a 6' gun.  5oz of shot @ 1100 fps is 144 ftlbs recoil in a 15lb gun. But it should weigh 20lbsabout or so. Also its legal for turkeys here in GA.  Regulations just say nothing smaller than 20ga.

Mmm what would 5oz of hevi7s pattern like
5 ozs of 7's would be nice, but that's only 1375 pellets. Personally, I'd go with 5 oz of TSS 9's. I guess it'd run you about $20 a shot....but it'd be worth it for almost 2,000 pellets..... I wonder what 1,000 in the 10" looks like????

LBSS

If you think about it the best way to make a smooth bore more effective is to make it bigger.
plus i read about colonials using 4 bore blunderbusses
Just seems right lol.

The goal is 300+lead 4#s in a 10"pattern. Id love to have this gun. It would be something worth passing down some day.  Olus during pattern sessions 14 drams of black powder is bound to get those liberal neighbors buzzing lol but atleast i live out of city limits by 20miles so its all good lol.

Wads are 7.50$ per 250 .500" wads.  Never priced bp but that's 14dram load is 375gr of black powder. Some guns where proofed up to 20drams1 lol. But ill be good with 5oz of nickel lead ontop of 13-14 drams of goex fg

lmbhngr

gobblingghost

Here's one for you. One shot the turkey would be defeathered, clean, tenderized, and cut into strips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQQfKxkZpk

LBSS

I love the history behind these big bores.
i plan on using a action called a jeager conversion lock .
it was designed for flint locks to be conversion over to percussion caps
very cool i think. Also goex fg is only 13$ per lbs

Gooserbat

Keep us informed I like the idea of it but with almosr an once of powder per shot it could get pricey.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

schuylkillspur

You hav nothing w/o FAITH

LBSS

Heres a picture of a brown bess 4 bore.
its rifled so the barrel is 1/2" bigger around at the breech
but yall get the idea