turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

12 yr old and Dad double with a twist

Started by dadsahuntin, April 23, 2012, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadsahuntin

What an amazing last day of season hunt with my oldest son. I and we have hunted the same Central Florida WMA all season and I was always on the birds but everytime I had one of them with me, we just couldnt get all conditions to work in our favor.  I felt really bad the day I hunted solo and came home with a bird, my kids were happy but I could tell that they really wanted a succesful hunt of their own.
On the last day of the season I took my oldest son to a spot I had hunted last week and had a couple drummers that would not cross the creek to be visible. That day I had no decoy and also had one walk by out at 70 yards. We took a solo hen(Southern Belle by FLoozie) and set up before light. The morning was quiet and by 10:00 the 12 year old fidgets set in, the candy was gone by now and we needed some action. I taught my son the 20 minute rule and let loose with some excited calling. At 10:35 the drummers were there and still no visual. I know that they could see the decoy but still would never cross that creek and of course the Floozie wasnt going to them so they pulled back, they are mine next year.
Well by 11:30 I just couldnt hold the morning coffee in any longer, I snuck behind our tree for some minor business and when I came back around my boy was holding my 12 gauge not his 410. Since this hunt was more about him than me I figured why not. He is a capable shooter and pretty confident so I let it roll. I sat there well relieved with no gun in hand and let loose some excited calls on my Box call. At 11:55 here comes 4 birds from our side of the creek. They played it safe just in side the woodline out 70 yards. Pushing to the creek I gave one little cluck and 2 turned our way. Here I sit with 2 birds on string and I am not holding a gun. My son waits for the tree blocker and raises the gun. The 2 birds at 35 yards and coming to the decoy at 25. One of the other two birds turns and runs right to the decoy cutting off the the first two. Now we have three Jakes face to face with that beautiful hen decoy. Shoot, Shoot I say and Bam he let it rip........3 birds still standing. He later tells me he was shaking so bad that he knew he would miss. I was amazed that those 3 birds just stood there and didnt flinch. Reload reload I say, it wont dad its jammed. He hands me the 12 gauge and picks up his 410, I fumble with the action and see him lining up the 410. We must have been quite a spectacle to see with all that chaos with just a small ground blind and 3 birds at 25 yards away. But none the less mine frees and just as I throw it up he shoots. I see a bird down with 2 others still standing there. I picked one and let him have it.
At 11:58 on the last day of the season my boy and I doubled. I can tell you that with the not so successful trips we had previously we both had prayed that we could have a special hunt and both get one together. I am a man of faith and know the Powers of our savior and the Blessings he gives. Here comes the twist. At the check station we discovered that the bird I took down was double bearded. Yes I said it a double and a double. I could not believe it, I have read here and seen the pics but I never even considered that I would get one here in Fl on the WMA that I hunt, amazing. My son and I shared a laugh with God right then in there. We both prayed for a double together and have even talked about how great it would be. I guess God wasnt sure of which type of double we were praying for so he gave us both.
I want to say thank you to all of you who have posted your tips and advice on this Forum. You helped give me the confidence that I need to allow for a very special day with my boy.
Thank you and thanks for taking the time to read our story.

Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

pullit

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Skeeter41

gophert

Good stuff right there!!!  Congrats to you both.

magedon44

Hognutz

Congrats to you two cats.. Well done!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

dadsahuntin

Thanks all for the pat on the back. It is amazing how proud I feel and the natural high that still remains. It is different than just gettin one bird myself, the joy I feel for/ from that boy is like none other. I can hardly focus on my work today and I can only imagine he is not giving it his all at school today either. Now the season is over and I have a long way to go for the next.......Well there is always another state to continue my season. Dont think I havent thought about it.
Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

barry

Your son's smile says it all. Congrats!

antnye

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

tomstopper

Congrats to you both. Very nice picture.

Ol'Mossy

Tail Feathers

Gotta like that smile on the boys face.  Priceless memories! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!