turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dad got a nice tom!!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 22, 2012, 02:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well I we put this guy to bed Friday night but he flew out with 3 hens and they wanted nothing to do with us.  From there, we went for a ride and tried working a few other birds but nothing happened so we went home to eat and relax.  We were back at our original set up at 4pm and I did some light calling every few minutes.  The plan was to sit and make a plan for the next morning.  At 5:13 a tom stepped out into the field about 200 yards away.  From there he strutted and gobbled.  I told dad to get ready.  The tom walked fast and strutted and gobbled a few more times as he came closer.  At 21 yards, dad had a shot and let the #7 do its thing.  We only heard one tom all day and it was this one.  When he left with his hens in the morning, I told my dad, lets come back in the afternoon and kill him.  Well it worked.  Dad just shook after it was over he was so pumped.  Thanks for all the kind words about being able to hunt with my dad and the good luck wishes.  They worked.  

20.5 lbs, 9" beard, 1 1/8" spurs

The old homestead where we hunted.  His guy was a trapper and lived off the land.  His items are still in the house.  I shot my first deer with a bow 100 yards from the house and 50 yards from where dad got his bird.

drenalinld

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

RagingRoyal

Congrats on a great hunt and a great bird.
This space is for rent.

Flydown

Congrats to you and your dad! That is awesome!!!

shootemintheface

wbpc

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

beagler

Never Misses

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Lightnrod

misfire

Nice bird Matt, congrats to you and your dad.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Hognutz

Congrats on a nice Wi. bird..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

renegade19

FloppinTom

Congratulations, did he use a 16 gauge?
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

wisconsinteacher

He used my 12ga with 3.5" hevi #7.  I wish he would have had used grandpa's 16ga.