OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening day in WV problems

Started by LilFridWV, April 22, 2012, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilFridWV

Opening day is tomorrow along with 30mph winds. I'm debating on whether to hunt and use a vacation day at work or save it for another day. I do have some fields to hunt close by but I always run into another hunter across the creek. I'm wondering if he will be out in the windy weather. Anyone have any advice?

Tail Feathers

They'll probably be roosting low or on the lee side of a hill.  If they aren't roosting there they will get there pretty soon.  Look for 'em in a spot out of the wind.  Good luck!

It was blowing about 25 when I got mine this year. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

earlybird

Go huntin, any time you can get out is a good time.Try and find someplace out of the wind.We could have more than that tomorrow,calling for a lot of snow in the higher elevations.Good luck.

FloppinTom

Supposed to snow in northern and eastern panhandles in WV tonite. Wind may be the least of our problems. LOL :help:
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

sugarray

We are going.  Sitting in the blind with the heater.  If we have to get out and run we will.  Not missing opening day for weather!  Whoooo-hoooo!

Deputy 14

I'll Definately be in the woods. Miserable or not. Not expecting much cooperation from the birds though.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Save it.

No point in wasting a day in poor weather unless you have one intimately patterned.

I'm also thoroughly convinced that many guys with that "you have to be in the woods" attitude do more harm than good by employing inappropriate calling/hunting strategies during inclement weather.

Don't expect a turkey to act like an idiot on days when you feel miserable leaving the confines of your home.  

I go when it's time to go and sleep when it's time to sleep.

Goodluck.

West Augusta

I'm going to work. High winds, leaves on trees and wet snow are a dangerous combination.
I'll wait until wednesday.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ceejay

I'm going to pass and save my energy to fight another day. 

LilFridWV

Good luck to the guys that are hunting tomorrow. My brother and I just set up the blind and I'm confident I will see something tomorrow. The wind was picking up a little. The wind wasn't as strong where I was at and I found turkey sign on the logging road. Good luck this season in WV!

earlybird

Hope you had good luck,you can't kill one sitting on the couch.If you felt like you had a good place to hunt you should do ok.Hunters that have some experience know that usually the season is to short to let a little bad weather keep us in.