turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Still Pure Excitement

Started by gobbler777, April 21, 2012, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler777

My 49th Spring opener in Maryland was pure excitement to say the least. The experience would have provided some incredible video...my only regret. The darkness turned into first light with very little gobbling; usual for this farm. I elected to go to a bird which had the most mature gobble. Unfortunately that gobble was drowned out by way too many hens after hitting the ground. I marked the spot for a later morning visit and moved towards the area where the other gobbles occurred. It proved to be a good move.

I floated a few notes out on the trumpet and it elicited responses from toms in two different spots; a grassy road through mature hardwoods and an adjacent three year clearcut. I quickly set up at the end of the road giving me a 150 yard view. My 10x42s showed two blood red heads at the far end of the road. Switching to my favorite slate over glass pot, I sent out some clucks and some yelping. A hen materialized from the clearcut to my left and walked to within 6 yards; searching for me. Not finding the hen she walked past me clucking. Another hen followed her to me yelping like crazy which elicited gobbles; the two at the end were closing the distance. She walked behind me yelping loudly. Now gobblers, five longbeards, from the cut walked up onto the road between me and the closing two gobblers ... wait now four. Wow - the binocs showed 9 longbeards, some in strut, closing on yet another noisy hen not 25 yards from me. Nine longbeards gobbling in concert is music I can stand listening to anytime.

My quest now was trying to pick out the dominant gobbler and making sure that his head was the only one collecting the Hevi 13 payload from the Win 1300 when they got to me. Gun was up: the strutters were closing ... 40 yards, my heart pounding, 30 yards, his head cleared the others and at about 20 yards I pulled the trigger. In a split second the unbelievable scene turned into deafening silence and calm except for the death wing beats of the boss strutter. Once again the weight over my shoulder felt good as I walked towards the truck ... another incredible morning in the turkey woods. I've cherished all 49 of them.

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

runngun

Congrats!!! That is awesome, may you have many, many more!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

tomstopper

Very nice bird. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who still chases the gobblers around with the Win 1300. What size shot Hevi's do you use?

Spring_Woods

That sounds like a heart pounding hunt! Wtg!!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

gobbler777

Quote from: tomstopper on April 21, 2012, 09:52:37 PM
Very nice bird. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who still chases the gobblers around with the Win 1300. What size shot Hevi's do you use?
Hevi Shot 3"  #7s  out of a Pure Gold Tube  = 206 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Its killed a bunch of gobbs. The slip on pad takes care of the recoil as if you felt it when sending a payload towards a gobbler's noggin.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

archery1

WAY TO GO
SHOOT THE SAME SETUP EXCEPT I USE A MOSSY 835
GLAD UR HUNT WAS SUCCESSFUL

Take a kid hunting

jakebird

Great story! My hands were shakin reading it as i pictured it in my mind, and i'm sure you will still tremble with excitement every time you relive that hunt. Congrats!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

hoyt

That's a pretty bird...I'd have to think about a flying mount with it.

contagious

Hope ya have 49 more season opener's .I want to grow up a be just like ya.!!!

shootemintheface

Congrats, Hope you have many more seasons.

Neill_Prater

Great story! I don't have quite as many seasons under my belt as you (35), but the adrenaline rush is still as good as it was then. I will say, however, I've never had the privilege of having 9 longbeards within gun range at once! I'm not sure the old ticker would take much of that! Neill

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

ccleroy

Congrats, that many springs under your belt deserves a hats off to ya!

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice going,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2