OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

benelli for turkey gun??

Started by Chris Downs, April 21, 2012, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Downs

Anyone shoot a Benelli for your specific turkey gun?  I've been thinking of getting one.  I shoot an SBE I for my waterfowl gun and have been shooting an 870 SPS-T Super Mag for turkey.  I just decided I want an auto for turkey too and figured I might as well get another Benelli.  I have no real preference whether it's a 3 or 3.5 gun...so M1, M2, SBE 1 or SBE 2, doesn't matter.  Just wondering what everyone thinks of them as a dedicated turkey gun.  Do they pattern well, with aftermarket chokes? , What shells do they eat well?, etc.  Just looking for experienced opinions.
thanks

runngun

Oh yeah they is a bunch of folks shooting them with great success!!! PM allaboutshooting he can give great advise.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Chris Downs

GobblinNC

my SBEII is a dedicated turkey gun.. and i love it. patterns awesome with a rhino .660 and nitro ammo. couldnt ask for a better setup.

gobblingghost

My SBE is a dedicated turkey gun. I shot Hevi 3.5" 2.25 oz #7. I think I'm getting around 300 in a 10" @ 40 yrds

Nolehoe

Mine isnt a dedicated turkey gun but its a good one. It likes a kicks gt (I think .665) and win 3" xr #6 and pro series magnum gobble dot sights

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

HuntSource

I'm running two Benelli Vincis for turkey (and lots of other stuff too). Both have Aimpoint T1 Micro installed. One is the Steadygrip model with a 24" barrel and the other is conventional with a 28" barrel. The 28" barrel patterns ever so slightly better than the 24" barrel. The Steady grip is handier in the field.

As for patterns, I recently posted some in the patterning forum. I'm having great success with Hevi-13 12-3-2-7. I can use a Rhino .660" and get 270+ in the 10" ring on the very best conditions and still well north of 200 when the weather is poor. That choke has also has performed well with Hevi-13 12-3-2-6 loads and will yield around 150 in the 10" on typical days. I tried several Jeb's chokes this spring too and found the .665" threw wide even patterns with the #7s. While it doesn't have the numbers in the 10" core compared to the Rhino, the POA/POI consistency is remarkable as it's width. That choke also throws the best patterns with #5s I've ever seen in a hunting rig. I've never been a fan if HDL #5s and found this combination by chance.

I've never had success with Federal's HW load or those from Winchester with any choke combination, but YMMV. I may just have never found the sweet spot for them.

Sagittarius

I bought a Super Vinci for turkey hunting.
I like the SBE II also but like the fact that the SV has an integral one piece barrel/receiver and less parts than the SBE II.
Some hunters and writers despise the looks of the SV but I think it's cool looking; it definitely grows on you.
I love the way mine looks and handles ! 

scdxt

going tomorrow and geting myself a m2 with 24" barrel. shot my friends and have to say the best feeling shotgun i ever held. i dont need the 3.5" stuff. going to use it for everything that flies. i have always been a remington person but man them benellis are something else.....

tomanyturkeycalls

I am shooting a dedicated sbe 2... sumtoy .650 with heavy 7's 3.5 in.. not sure what I am getting in 10 at 40 but its a bunch..lol  never count em but I look for density in the 10 and then the 20 and a good even pattern

WildTigerTrout

My Benelli SBE is a dedicated turkey gun.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

beagler

Benelli SBE 2
24" barrel
Rhino Choke (.660)
Nitro Company Shotshells 3 1/2" 4 X 5 X 7 hevishot
Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope

Never Misses

Luke95

Stay with your remington or go to either mossberg or browning.
Benelli just hasn't cut it for me from personal experience and seeing alot of patterns from the local benelli guys guns. :TrainWreck1:
Sumtoy Get Choked

budtripp

Quote from: Luke95 on April 23, 2012, 08:37:48 AM
Stay with your remington or go to either mossberg or browning.
Benelli just hasn't cut it for me from personal experience and seeing alot of patterns from the local benelli guys guns. :TrainWreck1:

Mine shoots pretty darn good, better than my 11-87 with the same loads. Why go with a pinto when you can have a ferrari?

magedon44

i have a SBE 1 with rhino .673 and im having a hard time gettin TSS to shoot well, ive had better luck with Hevi 13, #6's gettin like 200 in a 10 inch