OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Iowa gobblers down!

Started by marshboy, April 21, 2012, 07:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshboy

A friend and I hunted for a couple of days during Iowa's first season.  The weather on Monday sucked, it was cold, windy, drizzle, windy, sleet and windy.  Did I mention windy?  lol.  Sunday afternoon was in the mid 70s, Monday (Opening day) it barely reached the 40s with NW wind gusts to over 40. 
We started out in the timber in a spot that has been good before, but by 9 had moved out into a protected area in a fresh burn.  We had seen birds here the day before while scouting. 
One hen wandered about the burn for a while, then nothing.  About 11:30 I saw a gobbler in strut down the fenceline, making his way towards us.  He didn't gobble, but he put on quite a show.  My buddy John killed him at 25 yards.  Nice three year old, 23 lbs with sharp spurs.

The weather on Tuesday was much better.  No wind, sunny, and it warmed into the 60s by early afternoon.  We started in the timber again.  Very little gobbling on the roost.  I did watch a tom fly down about 50 yards from us, but I never saw him again.  Later, we had a bird gobbling in  semi-circle around us, but I never could see him...the woods are already so green.
We moved back to the burn by 9.  I let loose a series of yelps on my slate at 9:35, and got an immediate gobble in response.  It was classic, he gobbled in response to every series of yelps, and cut me off a couple of times.  After he about blew my hat off with a gobble, I got my gun up.  He came out of the timber and strutted right up, and I killed him at 30 yards.  Nice 2 year old, not much for spurs but he did weighh 23 lbs.  I was stepping on his head at 9:50. 

It is a long wait now for Iowa's 4th season. 
Greg

stinkpickle

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

flintlock

Way to go Greg!!!  Great pics!

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

wingbonehntr

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

bird

Congrats Greg and to also to your buddy John.

Thanks for sharing the read and the pictures.

Good Luck 4th Season my friend.

bird

shootemintheface

JPD298

marshboy

Thanks, guys.
Bird, I see on that "other" website that you had quite a hunt yourself earlier this month...most impressive.  Congrats.  I think I recognize the landscape in those pics!
Greg

bird

Quote from: marshboy on April 21, 2012, 04:33:28 PM
Thanks, guys.
Bird, I see on that "other" website that you had quite a hunt yourself earlier this month...most impressive.  Congrats.  I think I recognize the landscape in those pics!
Greg

Yes I did. A very good year indeed.  :icon_thumright:

I hate turkeys so they call me AngryBird!
  :funnyturkey:

WyoHunter

Great pics and write up Greg! Congrats to you and your friend on two fine gobblers! Good luck on that second tag!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

tomstopper

Congrats to both of you. Some nice looking birds.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WiLL B