turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need a little advice

Started by jtg88, April 19, 2012, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtg88

Earlier in the week, I ordered a Truglo SSX  for my Winchester 1300 20 gauge (22" barrel) with the intentions of shooting Fed. HW loads out of this gun.  I don't have the stuff on hand to polish the barrel but I did give it a "deep cleaning" following Clark's instructions on his website.  Today, I finally get around to patterning.  I sighted in using 4 dove loads up close then backed out to 40 yards.  Shot #1 of the Fed HW out of the SSX was not very pretty.  The pattern was sprayed all over a 2 ft. x 3 ft sheet of paper (90 hits in a 10" circle).  So, I put up a new target and let 'er rip again.  This time, the pattern looked great with 150 hits in a 10" circle encompassing point of aim.  I was pretty much out daylight at this point so I didn't get to shoot a third time.  Have any of you guys seen this kind of inconsistency with this choke or load? 

Also, I was under the impression that this choke was supposed to strip the wad pretty quick but both of the flitecontrol wads were laying at the target face, a lasered 40 yards away.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: JohnDoe on April 19, 2012, 10:24:12 PM
You dont shoot Fed HW in chokes that strip the wad. It will defeat the purpose of the FC Wad. That choke does wekk for many with Hevi 13 loads.

John

The SSX is not a wad stripping type choke really.  The straight "rifling" is only used to stabilize the wad, not strip it.  They do however tend to build up wad fouling fairly quickly.  The biggest issue folks have is when the porting bleeds off gas pressures behind the wad too quickly and prevent the rear "fins" from "popping" open correctly.  It doesn't happen with all ported chokes though.  There are also A LOT of members here and on other sites that are getting suprizing results with the Fed. HWs and the TG SSX chokes.  The OP's results are actually fairly typical.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

goblr77

The SSX shoots pretty consistent for me with the HW 7s out of a Rem 21" barrel. Shooting at 40 yards all of the wads wind up past the 30 yards.

surehuntsalot

with the right gun,the SSX will throw some devastating patterns with the Federal HW #7's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

savduck

In my experience that's just the federals. I shot up a bunch of shells in four or five after market chokes. The federals will do what you described with all of them. My SSX will give me 140 averages when clean shooting the federals, I had a high in the 160s with it, but a low of 89. That combo doesn't like to be dirty.

It should give you 150 patterns with Hevi 13 7s. Pretty much every shot.
Georgia Boy