turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 - 21" or 26" barrel?

Started by Ridgerunner7, April 19, 2012, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgerunner7

Which would you recommend and why?  21" would be more maneuverable. Would the 26" have better down range patterning?  How about recoil?  This would be for an adult.

shootemintheface

Ridgerunner7

Did a search...seems to be pretty split on preference between the long/short barrels.

Sand Man

Can't comment on the 26" barrel as I've never hunted with one.  I can say I wouldn't trade in my 21" barrel.  It patterns very will with the TSS reloads out to any distance I want to kill a turkey and is a dream carrying in the woods vs any 12ga I've ever used.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Tom Foolery

I must admit, I am diggin my 21" barreled 870.  Short, light, and shoots great.

schuylkillspur

You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Waddle Whacker

21" for me and lovin it! As far as the patterning goes, look around on here, these little barrels can put up some big numbers.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

If you are using the gun strictly for turkeys I would have to say the 21" barrel. I have both lengths and wound up hunting with the short one. It's not far behind the 26" on the patterning board and is a joy to tote in the woods. With Fed 7s and the right choke the short barrel still has enough umph to hammer a bird at distances past what we are allowed to talk about on this site.

mossyoakpro

I went with a 26 on my project gun....simply because that is what the shotgun guru that lengthened my forcing cones suggested that I get.

As far as patterning difference I have no idea at all....I am waiting on it to return from it's Mossy Oak spa treatment so I can begin pattern testing.
Phillippians 4:13

dpittman

Would the velocity diff between the two bbls mean anything with the smaller shot sizes.

Eric Gregg

I tote a Remington 870 20ga Youth Model with the Shur Shot stock and love it.
I can jump into any brush pile or move through the woods without any hang ups or snags.
Great guns.

remmy1187

I have both lengths and also an 18.5 inch barrel, my preference is the 21 inch. My 21"  shoots better with my reloads than the 26" so its a no brainer for me.  I think Im gonna use the 18.5" for a kids/blind gun, with the adjustable stocks and the short barrels they are a treat to carry.

dpittman

do you have a ballistics calc? If so could you do a penetration calc on a lead 6 at 1200. The pellets seem to run from 1.85-2.0 grains per pellet if that helps.

cannonball