OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Double Success on Tuesday!

Started by WyoHunter, April 19, 2012, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

Tuesday was great day for me. Let me tell you about it!

I had a great Tuesday in NE and then WY. I left for NE at 3:30 AM and arrived there at 7:00 AM. As I was getting ready my gear ready to go hunting two gobblers sounded off across the road. I was tempted to go after them but decided against since I was anxious to hunt some old familiar country on my side of the road. If need be I'd pursue them tomorrow morning. I started calling in favorite spots with no response. I crested a small ridge and called and just as I was leaving a gurgled gobble came from where I had just called a few minutes ago. I hurried back to that spot and called again and then he really gobbled. I thought initially it was jake but it turned out to be a mature bird. I put my box call on the ground and hugged a tree just as his head peeked over the rise. I had the 20 ga. Beretta pointed at him but didn't want to shoot until I was sure he was mature. Once I saw his 8 1/2" beard Baby Beretta spoke and the 1 1/4 oz load of Hevi-13 7's put him down. I looked at my watch and it was 8:15 AM. Then I took some pics and made the hour long hike back to the truck and took off for WY with plans of hunting an old spot there.
  I got there at 11:30 AM and took off towards the creek bottom. As I got close to the creek bottom I called. I got a response and could see the gobbler and two hens in the pasture on the far side of the creek. They started my way and to make a long story short I saw the hens but not the gobbler. Then I ran into a couple of gobblers who just wanted to talk back and forth so I abandoned them for another gobbler that was up the creek. I got into position and started calling. He answered but also another gobbler answered too.  One was up the hill and another in the creek bottom. I kept calling and they kept gobbling but they wouldn't move. I finally moved and looked down into the creek bottom and there was this big gobbler strutting back and forth. I started calling more aggressively on my box call and yelping with a diaphragm. After about ten minutes I saw him coming but then he disappeared. I looked off to my left and here he came. He was a gorgeous sight to behold! He was coming head on to me and I won't shoot them like that (just me). He got to 8 steps from me and I said "Hey you" softly to bring him out of his strutting. I let him walk a few steps and then turned my 12 ga. Beretta loose on him. Betty Beretta and the Hevi-13 Magnum Blends did a number on his head and he was down for the count. He was one of the biggest body gobblers that I've killed although his beard was only 8" and his spurs were worn down. His tail measured 30" across when spread out. My watch indicated it was 1:00 PMAfter taking some pics it was long hike back to the truck but a happy one.
It was a great day and one that I duplicated last year. You can't ask for more than that. I'll have to get another tag somewhere since it's too soon to quit hunting for the season.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Trapper

Wow, great story and great pics. Sound like yo had a fun time. Beautiful scenery too. 

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on 2 beautiful birds!!! :icon_thumright:

870supermagnum

Congrats on a great day of hunting.  Those Rio's are truly beautiful.   :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

pullit

Roostem33

Those are some pretty birds, Congrats!!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

870FaceLift

Sounds like you were covered up in gobblers.  Congrats on your success!  :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

Dinger

Hey 870SuperMagnum......those birds are Merriams! 

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobblers!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Tail Feathers

That IS a great day of hunting!
Congrats.  I love those white tips! :drool:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Lightnrod

BP1992

Quote from: 870supermagnum on April 19, 2012, 08:11:03 AM
Congrats on a great day of hunting.  Those Rio's are truly beautiful.   :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:

Who said anything about a Rio???

Dan Mallia

Great story and great pics, thanks for sharing.  :drool: