turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Lowcountry gobbler

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 18, 2012, 10:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

As most of you know, I had to end my turkey season early to take care of my Pop, who is terminally ill. I've been busy caring for my Pop, so I haven't had time to post the story and pics from my SC bird. So here goes......
The morning broke with crisp 40 degree temps. The birds started gobbling  and I got set up in between 3 gobblers that were each about 200 yards from me. One bird got really fired up though, so I decided to move on him before he flew down. I left my Gobbler Lounger and stuff, threw my deke in the bushes, and took off with just my scattergun and a diaphragm in my mouth. I was able to slip in to 90 yards from his roost. I set up and shortly after, he flew down and continued gobbling up a storm. I called softly to him, and he double gobbled back at me!! :gobble: :gobble:  He knew I was close by, so I fed him silence. Although I couldn't see him, I could tell by his gobbling that he was strutting back and forth in the bottom.
He didn't seem to be in a big hurry to come out of the bottom, so occasionally I'd float him a few clucks and purrs, or some soft yelps. After 45 minutes of him gobbling his fool head off, I finally heard some hens coming in from behind me. It was now or never, because I knew if those hens walked in to the bottom and went to him, it would be game over. So I cranked up my calling. So did the hens. We went back and forth trying to outcall each other. The gobbler was loving this, and roared back with his approval. :gobble:
Suddenly a thunderous gobble from behind me darn near blew my hat off!! :gobble: :o  A second gobbler had come in silently with the hens. Now I knew why the hens hadn't joined the first gobbler in the bottom yet. As luck would have it, that was just the break I needed. :icon_thumright: After hearing a rival gobbler, my gobbler decided he'd better come over and check things out. With each successsive gobble, I could tell he was getting closer. Finally he came around the bend in the trail that leads into the bottom, but he was still out of range. He walked over behind some bushes about 50 yards away and gobbled for 5 minutes. I softly called to him again, and he came walking up the trail. When he went behind some trees I adjusted my aim. He walked into the clear at 20 yards, I took the shot and down he went!! :fud: It was 08:10, so it had taken me almost an hour to call him in. He weighed 18 lbs 4 ozs, had a 9" beard and sported sharp 1-1/8" spurs.

His long legs and wing feathers made him look more like an Osceola than an Eastern. Guess he was an Easteola!! ;D

870BkWht

Congrats on a fine bird.  Sorry to hear about your father. 

Wrangler95

:you_rock:

Very nice going,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

870FaceLift

That first pic is great.  Congrats!   :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

pullit

sounds like a great hunt, congrats

dawgfrombama

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice "Easternola", Jim..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

ctwny1

Congrads and great story on a good gobbler!

FloppinTom

Great details, congrats on your bird.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Lightnrod

NCTURKEYHUNTER

Congrats on a sweet bird.  :z-guntootsmiley:

njdevilsb

That sounds like a great hunt.  Congrats.