OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any problems with Winchester high velocity shells

Started by Bclarke, April 18, 2012, 06:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bclarke

I was wondering has anyone had pattern problems with Winchester shells?  I missed a bird today and I feel even when patterning the screen isn't what it used to be.  I want to switch to extended range or hevishot shot but they are so expensive. I'm shooting a Remington 870 with 3.5 inch shells .

mikejd

I have never had any problems. I also have not shot any new ones in a while.

turkey_slayer

I killed a ton of birds with em. One of the best factory lead loads there is. One downside is they kick like a dickens!

bird

I shoot the Winchester 3 1/2" 2oz #6 XRHD and these shells are unbelievable in how hard they knock a bird off his feet.  They just flat out knock the dog snot out of em!

savduck

Georgia Boy

rem 300

JnL

Ive never had an issue with win shells.  I have had issues when patterning with dirty barrels though.  You might consider polishing the barrel if its had a lot of rounds through it.  Provided you dont have a chrome lined barrel.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Bclarke on April 18, 2012, 06:44:22 PM
I was wondering has anyone had pattern problems with Winchester shells?  I missed a bird today and I feel even when patterning the screen isn't what it used to be.  I want to switch to extended range or hevishot shot but they are so expensive. I'm shooting a Remington 870 with 3.5 inch shells .

Just a few recommendations than might help some. I would "deep clean" both your barrel and your choke tube. I'd make sure the magazine cap is really tight. I recommend hand tight and then, using some patted pliers, tighten it 3-4 more clicks.

If you're shooting the HV shells, the 3.5" version is really punishing and can cause a flinch. Most of us never realize that we've developed a flinch but it can and does happen to  most shooters at one time or another.

You may want to try the 3" shell, just to see if that helps. It will do everything that you need done and has a bit less recoil.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

budtripp

Never had an issue, except bruised shoulders  :toothy12: Best lead turkey loads you can buy

snapper1982

i have a list of problems with winchester shells over the years..
1- sore back. they have caused my back to be sore more than once from carrying out gobblers.
2-sore shoulder. from shooting gobblers
3-season over to soon. from shooting good and killing my gobblers
4-trying to find people to take hunting. because i was tagged out

other than these nope no problems.

Gooserbat

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 18, 2012, 07:18:53 PM
I killed a ton of birds with em. One of the best factory lead loads there is. One downside is they kick like a dickens!

Man, If you think these kick stay away from 2 1/4 once loads.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 19, 2012, 01:15:21 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 18, 2012, 07:18:53 PM

Man, If you think these kick stay away from 2 1/4 once loads.
IMO the 3.5" HV recoil harder than the XX 2 1/4 oz. loads. The extra velocity really adds to the recoil!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

budtripp

^^^I agree, recoil may be similar in ft lbs, but the HV shells are a much faster sharper jab than the xx's. Lead sled almost mandatory when patterning

Tom Foolery

The 3.5" 2oz HV shells kick much harsher than the 3.5" 2.25oz loads.

The 2.25oz loads feel like you have been shoved by a jovial sasquatch.  The 2oz HV loads feel like you have been round house kicked by a Chuck Norris trained sasquatch that is having a bad day.