OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pretty Boy betrayed me

Started by barry, April 18, 2012, 01:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I have had great success with my B-Mobile strutter with a real fan. However, this late in the season, I never use him. I only use B-Mobile the 1st 1/2 of the season.

gtrjames

I've seen big old gobblers turn away from a strutter decoy, even a red headed jake that they didnt get close enough to identify as a jake...other times they came in fightin'...they are like people in the fact that they have a wide range of personalities.
In my experience, if a bird is a fighter, he'll come to a jake decoy just as fast as a gobbler decoy.
Most jake decoy floggings I've witnessed were by 2 year old birds anxious to bully someone around....kind of a payback for all the floggings they took last year I guess.
As far as the putting goes, they saw something they did not like...not necessarily you, maybe the positioning of the decoys.

barry

Quote from: guesswho on April 18, 2012, 07:55:29 PM
Quote from: ccleroy on April 18, 2012, 07:33:38 PM
They seen something that stood out to them
Yep.  I don't have a lot of experience with decoys but I'd guess the sun may have been Barry's enemy.   There was something somewhere that they all picked up on but eluded your eyes from your location.  I'd set the same spread up at the same place and go to where some of the birds boogered and take a look.  You may find the answer.

We did that right before we packed up and with the sun right on the blind, my buddy said he could not even tell a blind was there.
Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right ;)

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Hognutz on April 18, 2012, 05:21:00 PM
I believe that they were putting because they were afraid to go near him. The strutter presented a potential butt kickin'..if they got near him..

exactly right
it's not the harvest,it's the chase