turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 difficulty in ejecting fired 3.5" Hevi 13

Started by Mike Honcho, April 18, 2012, 12:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

My 835 turkey special (new two turkey seasons ago) , is experiencing difficulty in ejecting spent 3.5" Hevi 13 loads.
I noticed it once last year with Mag Blends and it has done it twice this season.  This morning I had to hold the forend and strike the butt on the ground sharply to eject.  It acts like it is locked up after firing the first shot.

It only does this with Hevi 13.

Gun is meticulously cleaned so dirty chamber is not the problem.  The gun shot probably 20 lead turkey loads its first season , and probably 10 Hevi 13 loads , 10 lead turkey loads  and a couple of boxes of steel goose loads last season so it really hasn't been shot that much.

Any ideas???/

BrowningGuy88

My friends 835 will do that every once in a while with Nitro Blends. We always attributed it to high pressure, but with H13, that shouldn't be an issue. My only thought would be that the ones that are sticking the brass on the shell is ofter than normal and is expanding more than normal.

R AJ

Have you at any time removed the forearm from the gun? If the arms of the fore end are the least out of line they could be causing the problem.
I suspect hot loads in H-13 for the brass used in the shells to be the contributing factor.

Mike Honcho

Thanks guys...last year I didn't notice the forend was getting loose and it actually came completley unscrewed.

I don't have proper forend tool to tighten it back up so I tightened it up as tight as it would go...can't remember now what i used to tighten...I think I tapped it with a small hammer and a big screw driver in the slots.  I'll check it to see if it has loosened up again.

I may just think it only does it with Hevi 13 because that all is really shoot in spring.  I'll try with other loads.

Reloader

The 835 has the worst extractor on any shotgun I've dealt with. 

The best trick I've found is to really deep clean the chamber, but even that doesn't always work.  You can buy a new spring and claw as well.   I have also sharpened the claw.  Even with the above some shells will stick.  H13 2.25oz loads will not eject from mine.  Various hulls act differently even when the pressures are stout.  Mine doesn't like Ched or Fed hulls(EM H13s are Ched), but it ejects fine with Fio, Rem, and Win hulls.  It will only eject the Ched and Fed hulls if they are very mild loads. I'm speaking 3.5s, it does fine with lower pressure 3" and 2-3/4" hulls of any make.

I'd clean it first, solvent on a brass brush chucked in a drill is the easiest way IMO.

bird

Quote from: Reloader on April 18, 2012, 04:29:22 PM

I would have to concur with this statement 100% which is the main reason why I no longer own a Mossberg.

bird

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: AngryBird on April 18, 2012, 05:15:53 PM
Quote from: Reloader on April 18, 2012, 04:29:22 PM

I would have to concur with this statement 100% which is the main reason why I no longer own a Mossberg.

bird

Exactly! I bought one before the current season; It patterned better than most any gun Ive ever owned but It had numerous issues during the first week of the season; I sold it before the 2nd week of the season. The 835 has been around awhile now. I cant understand why Mossberg hasnt worked these types of issues out of these guns.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

lowoctane

I think Hevi's brass is thinner. My spent shells are cavitated.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

bird

I found that when my 835's would start having ejection issues that it would continue to drive a person nuts and just when you thought you had the problem fixed it would rear its ugly head at the most inopportune time which is why I said enough was enough and switched away from the M-guns to never return again.

Good Luck

bird

archery1

shot my mossberg 835 alot!!!!!! never had any problems with ejecting.. only problem i had was shells not feeding.. this was due to buffer in shell leaking and getting in tube.. solved that real quick.
there are some mixed feelings on mossberg guns

hope u get urs fixed
Take a kid hunting

Mike Honcho

Thanks guys, I  got the 835 from one of my best hunting buds who had only shot it a few times...he got the bug for  a semi-auto and made me a smokin deal.  I was interested in it due to all the positive press here on them as far as the patterns and I found a Star Dot choke for it and it patterns extremely well.

It has cost me a double due to not being able to get the second shot off and definitley could cost me a bird if I would happen to miss or not get a clean kill with first shot.

I have a BPS 10 ga set up for turkey so I can go back to that and get some exercise carrying it around!

Also have a Stoeger 3500 but have not had time to get a choke and pattern with it.

I'm thinking the Hevi 13 brass is swelling due to the pressure causing the problem.   I haven't tried a 3.5 Hevi 13 in the Stoeger yet...may do that.   Obviously the 835 is not on quality par with Browning, Benelli etc. and that is contributing factor.

Turkey Havoc

Check out the Brass on the HEVI's, one thing I noticed was the head is slanted instead of close to 90 degree angle like what is on Winchester Ammo. That is what I have attributed to the reason of sticking shells in my 835. I think the extractor is not getting a good grip, and slipping off.
Stephen H Spraberry

Mike Honcho

I don't think the extractor is slipping off because it does extract the shell if you slam the buttstock hard against the
ground while holding the forend.   If it was slipping off it should leave the unextracted shell case in the chamber when the bolt comes back.

lowoctane

I'm thinking Hevi needs to make some changes if they want to continue their reign as most desired ammo!
Personnally, I can stand a few less hits for reliable function!!!
ARE YOU LISTENING HEVI-SHOT?!?! $30.00 for 5 rounds... :TrainWreck1:

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life