Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just got back from Kansas (Pics included)

Started by dawgfrombama, April 17, 2012, 10:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

Hunting was a little tougher than the last time I went.  I was the lucky one in our group.  I tagged out in 45 mins on the first afternoon.
I got out in a huge cut cornfield to start the evening.  This field was perfect, a creek with timber ran along the backside of it with a long woodline seperating the corn from a plowed field.  As I walked into the field and I headed for the woodline and creek timber where it formed a "T".  I yelped with a box call every 75-100yds trying to get one to gobble.  I made it to the woodline and was looking in the plowed field when I yelped again and heard a gobble right up the wood line in the cornfield.  I sat down by a small tree and let out a few soft clucks and yelps with a woodhaven crystal.  Withing minutes he was standing no less than 10 steps from me.  Of course he busted me. He then done the strangest thing, he didn't go back down the woodline but instead headed for the open field.  I shot him at 25yrds.  He was a hoss.  11 in beard, 1 3/8 spurs and weighed 27 lbs.

Hooks

After I picked the bird up after he flopped into a muddy washed out area of the field I headed back to the woodline.  As I was checking out the gobbler I saw a bird coming across the field towards me.  I called and it sped up.  It was definately a jake but 2 long beards popped up behind him.  Apparently they were coming to the original calls.  I began calling to them and they gobbled all the way to the woodline.  They crossed the woodline and came down the opposite side as the 1st bird.  I let the jake walk by and the longbeards were to close together to shoot without hitting them both.  As luck would have it the last longbeard stopped offering me a shot.  I got him at 40yds.  9 3/4 in beard 1/2 spurs and 17lbs.

Both birds together.

Our group of 5 killed 9 birds.

Just a few jakes in a wheat field

spaightlabs

Nice work!  27 pounds?  That's a moose.

Hognutz

Congrats!! That one gobbler is a stinkin' toad..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

dawgfrombama

thats right 27.2lbs on the scale we had at camp.

ericjames

Looks like you had fun! I cant picture a 27 pound turkey, thats huge

Improvinghunter101

JnL

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ol'Mossy

nogoodreezen

Monster bird for sure. Congratulations.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

archery1

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!doesn't get any better than that
thanks for the pics
come on 28th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

headbanger

Looks like a great hunt...Congrats!!

headbnger

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Hognutz on April 17, 2012, 10:24:30 PM
Congrats!! That one gobbler is a stinkin' toad..
[/quote

Lawdy, you probably had to field dress that first one just to be able to tote him out! :funnyturkey:

Congrats.  Was this with an outfitter?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

dawgfrombama

LOL!!! I didn't have to field dress it LOL!!!!  It is by far the heaviest bird I've killed.  The heaviest before that one was 23lbs.