turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This should be good!?! update 4-20

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 17, 2012, 08:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferocious calls

Lost my dad 23 yrs ago. Cherish each moment you share.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on April 17, 2012, 08:43:41 PM
I just talked to my dad and he is ready for his season.  I gave him my decoys, he has not touched a call in years, and I am guessing he will be sleeping in his blind by 7:00.  Dad hunts to take time off of work to relax and to spend time with me.  If I did not hunt, my dad would not go.  I am unable to go for the first 3 days due to work but I will call for him this weekend.  His plan is to set up his blind in a pasture where the farmer has seen birds and set up Jake moble with a few hens and then sit back and relax.  My goal is that he hears some birds and gets them figured out for the weekend.  He has shot a few birds like this in the past so it might happen for him this week but in all honesty, I hope I can call one in for him this weekend. 

Taking dad is harder than taking a young kid but I know his limits.  Wish us luck and I will keep you posted on his hunt. 

Hey teach, my 78 year old Dad is in failing health. He can't make it to the woods any more, so our days of hunting together are over. Enjoy your time hunting with you Dad. It can end before you know it. God bless and good luck this season to both of you!!

wisconsinteacher

Yesterday, dad heard 2 toms by the truck and then went for a ride.  He did see 9 hens by themselves.  He did not hunt today because he is waiting for me.  We are going to go after work to get one or get a plan for the morning.  I hope in 2 days, we can find one to play with. 

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tomstopper

Good luck but most of all just enjoy the time with your dad. After my dad passed 2 years ago, I have learned not to take for granted any time you can spend with him no matter what you are doing...

wisconsinteacher

Well I got home tonight and we hit a new farm.  I called in 2 hens.  One was mad and yelped a million times at me.  The old man was laughing at me and the hen the entire time.  From there we went for a ride.  We pulled into a field and saw a tom.  He stepped into the woods and we backed out and set up.  I put dad between me and the tom.  At 8:00 the tom flew up 60 yards from dad and 40 yards off the field edge.  We plan on setting up close to the tom but in the field with decoys.  Where he flew up was in a tamarack swamp that is dark and thick.  As he flew up, he was breaking branches and limbs.  So if he does not move, he is alone and 40-60 yards off the edge of the field.