turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This should be good!?! update 4-20

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 17, 2012, 08:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I just talked to my dad and he is ready for his season.  I gave him my decoys, he has not touched a call in years, and I am guessing he will be sleeping in his blind by 7:00.  Dad hunts to take time off of work to relax and to spend time with me.  If I did not hunt, my dad would not go.  I am unable to go for the first 3 days due to work but I will call for him this weekend.  His plan is to set up his blind in a pasture where the farmer has seen birds and set up Jake moble with a few hens and then sit back and relax.  My goal is that he hears some birds and gets them figured out for the weekend.  He has shot a few birds like this in the past so it might happen for him this week but in all honesty, I hope I can call one in for him this weekend.  

Taking dad is harder than taking a young kid but I know his limits.  Wish us luck and I will keep you posted on his hunt.  

guesswho

Good luck, and enjoy your time with your Dad.  I hunted with mine this past weekend and he's 84 now. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Clif Owen

Good Luck! I would love to get to spend another day in the woods with mine.

Trevor2

Sounds like mydads hunting tactics for turkey lol sets in his blind and sleeps most times lol too much like deer hunting for me but I'll suck it up when hunting with him. I love deer hunting just not my style for thunder chickens
Strutstopper

wisconsinteacher

The hard part with my dad is after the first set up of the day, he likes to go for a ride and then head home.  I on the other hand want to keep pushing.  I have to learn to back off and let him hunt his season the way he wants to.

mountman62

enjoy the turkey hunting with your dad any way he wants to, mine went once and it just ain't his thing, but me & Daddy have hunted and fished a lot together in our lives and probably still hope to this next fall,  but me & my son have enjoyed some great hunts and plan to enjoy many more, just not this spring, he is working out of state, i'm getting to the age where i like to sit back and take a nap also and I'm just fixing to turn 50
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

BOFF

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on April 17, 2012, 09:27:04 PM
The hard part with my dad is after the first set up of the day, he likes to go for a ride and then head home.  I on the other hand want to keep pushing.  I have to learn to back off and let him hunt his season the way he wants to.

Much like hunting with our children.

Just have to take it as it comes, and enjoy the moments, and time spent together, regardless if it's hunting all day.

God Bless,
David B.

joshb311

Enjoy those hunts. I never got to turkey hunt with my old man but I would give anything to have that opportunity now.

wisconsinteacher

Well I just talked to dad and he has seen 2 hens but has not heard a gobble.  It is windy and raining like crazy.  He thinks he the truck is stuck in the pasture.  I will update later.

redarrow

Good luck to your Dad. Hunting and retrieving the truck.

pullit

Enjoy the hunt and time with your dad, mine does not hunt and don't think I would ever be able to get him in the woods.

headbanger

Enjoy...mine has been gone 13 years now :mycross:...wish I had just one more hunt with him

headbanger

Spring_Woods

My old man don't like turkey hunting. I took him one time and all he did was talk on the phone. I had to send him home early.

Needless to say, I am a self taught turkey hunter. I wish he hunted, then the learning curve would have been much easier.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

mnturkey

Enjoy the hunt with your dad. My dad died in August.  He couldn't hunt the past 10 years or so but every time I got a Turkey, grouse, phesant, deer or any other game I would call him and he was overjoyed.
SEMPER FI

Timmer

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on April 17, 2012, 08:43:41 PM
Taking dad is harder than taking a young kid but I know his limits.  

Hey neighbor,

You are right about taking your dad.  I took my 74 year old father on his first turkey hunt ever in the black hills last year.  We were busted 5 times in 4 days.  I'll take partial credit for one of them, but the other 4 were due his old bones and muscles making him fidgety and his loss of hearing making him not hear the "swish swish" of his crappy cheap camo material and him moving his head to try to find the loud gobbling that I could easily hear but he couldn't.  It's tough to see that your dad isn't the woodsman he once was, but good to get out and get some quality time together!  
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!