OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for you Benelli guys

Started by 870FaceLift, April 17, 2012, 10:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

Last summer, I bought the new T/C Encore ProHunter turkey edition in 12g.  Prior to the TC, I had hunted with an 870 that was given to me by my father when I was a boy.  It's laid down many turkeys (and deer), but I wanted a new turkey gun to allow the 870 to be passed along to my son in a few years.

I've tried numerous load/choke combos, but can't get the pattern I have with the 870.  Plus the TC kicks like a damn mule.  It is a pleasure to tote around though because it is light and compact.  Anyhow, I just can't build a good enough relationship with the TC to make it my go-to turkey slayer.  I've been using the trusty 870 again this year and not the TC, but want to go ahead and buy a Benelli to pattern in and hopefully finish out the KY and OH seasons.  My local shop has a new APG Vinci (26") for the same price as a used synthetic SBEII.  The SBE II (26") has some scratches, but appears decent.  I've shouldered both and have no preference for feel - they're both comfortable.  Both are priced at 1150 and would be used for turkey hunting primarily.  Which would you go for?  I'm only looking at these two, so no other suggestions please.
Pass it on...

hookedspur

SBE 2 . I have one in 26" and a IC tube with 7s its hard to beat. If you want or need to its a 3.5" chamber
and unless the Vinci is a super V its only a 3". 
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BrowningGuy88

If you are not going to shoot 3.5" Magnums then I would buy the Vinci.

1iagobblergetter

I'd try a Kicks .655 and some H-13  #7S and stick with the T/C if u can live with the punch it packs. I have 2 SBE2's and the old original SBE and always grab my T/C for turkeys. Hated the original sights the t/c came with so added one of the old nikon turkey pro scopes. I know its all personal preference and just have had headaches with poi/poa with the benellis,which leads to more $$$$. Goodluck...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 870FaceLift on April 17, 2012, 10:18:19 AM
Last summer, I bought the new T/C Encore ProHunter turkey edition in 12g.  Prior to the TC, I had hunted with an 870 that was given to me by my father when I was a boy.  It's laid down many turkeys (and deer), but I wanted a new turkey gun to allow the 870 to be passed along to my son in a few years.

I've tried numerous load/choke combos, but can't get the pattern I have with the 870.  Plus the TC kicks like a damn mule.  It is a pleasure to tote around though because it is light and compact.  Anyhow, I just can't build a good enough relationship with the TC to make it my go-to turkey slayer.  I've been using the trusty 870 again this year and not the TC, but want to go ahead and buy a Benelli to pattern in and hopefully finish out the KY and OH seasons.  My local shop has a new APG Vinci (26") for the same price as a used synthetic SBEII.  The SBE II (26") has some scratches, but appears decent.  I've shouldered both and have no preference for feel - they're both comfortable.  Both are priced at 1150 and would be used for turkey hunting primarily.  Which would you go for?  I'm only looking at these two, so no other suggestions please.

I still have a 1991 SBE, have owned a couple others, owned the SBEII and it just didn't fit me, now I have the 3" Vinci and absolutely love it.

I would pick the Vinci. It's a great gun, light, quick and has less muzzle rise than any gun I've ever shot. Mine shoots right at POA and patterns exceptionally well.

The Vinci would get my vote.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

HuntSource

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 17, 2012, 10:57:08 AM
Quote from: 870FaceLift on April 17, 2012, 10:18:19 AM
Last summer, I bought the new T/C Encore ProHunter turkey edition in 12g.  Prior to the TC, I had hunted with an 870 that was given to me by my father when I was a boy.  It's laid down many turkeys (and deer), but I wanted a new turkey gun to allow the 870 to be passed along to my son in a few years.

I've tried numerous load/choke combos, but can't get the pattern I have with the 870.  Plus the TC kicks like a damn mule.  It is a pleasure to tote around though because it is light and compact.  Anyhow, I just can't build a good enough relationship with the TC to make it my go-to turkey slayer.  I've been using the trusty 870 again this year and not the TC, but want to go ahead and buy a Benelli to pattern in and hopefully finish out the KY and OH seasons.  My local shop has a new APG Vinci (26") for the same price as a used synthetic SBEII.  The SBE II (26") has some scratches, but appears decent.  I've shouldered both and have no preference for feel - they're both comfortable.  Both are priced at 1150 and would be used for turkey hunting primarily.  Which would you go for?  I'm only looking at these two, so no other suggestions please.

I still have a 1991 SBE, have owned a couple others, owned the SBEII and it just didn't fit me, now I have the 3" Vinci and absolutely love it.

I would pick the Vinci. It's a great gun, light, quick and has less muzzle rise than any gun I've ever shot. Mine shoots right at POA and patterns exceptionally well.

The Vinci would get my vote.

Thanks,
Clark

I have two Vincis wearing Aimpoint T1 Micros. While some don't like the appearance, the Vinci is a remarkable shotgun. It's very light for a 12ga yet handles recoil exceptionally well. The trigger group of the Vinci is unparalleled in autoloading shotguns. Mine are very smooth and break at 3.5 and 4lbs. (Compare the Vinci to the used SBEII and see which you prefer.) The inertia system in the Vinci is an evolutionary improvement over than of the SBEII. I've shot several thousand rounds at this point between the two. I've only had one round fail to cycle and there was something squirrelly about that round. While still as very good shotgun, I've had more cycling issues with the SBEs I've owned.  Although it's unconventional, the modular design is very nice once you become familiar with it. As side benefit of it, the action and barrel are one piece thereby creating a more rigid, stable platform. My only beef is that it's not available in a 20ga.

870FaceLift

Thanks for the replies and feedback everyone.  While I respect the SBEII, I'm going to pick up the 3" Vinci this afternoon. 

Clark - I think I'll start with a Hevi choke and Hevi bronze 6's.  I read one of your posts that stated that's the best combo you've found for the Vinci.  Your insight is always helpful!
Pass it on...

HuntSource

Quote from: 870FaceLift on April 17, 2012, 11:59:55 AM
Thanks for the replies and feedback everyone.  While I respect the SBEII, I'm going to pick up the 3" Vinci this afternoon. 

Clark - I think I'll start with a Hevi choke and Hevi bronze 6's.  I read one of your posts that stated that's the best combo you've found for the Vinci.  Your insight is always helpful!

I think you'll be pleased with your choice, although the SBEII is a fine shotgun.

You might also consider a Rhino .660". I've found that to be a great choke as well. In fact, I just posted some pattern pictures of some "Old White" #6s and current production #7s with that choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 870FaceLift on April 17, 2012, 11:59:55 AM
Thanks for the replies and feedback everyone.  While I respect the SBEII, I'm going to pick up the 3" Vinci this afternoon.  

Clark - I think I'll start with a Hevi choke and Hevi bronze 6's.  I read one of your posts that stated that's the best combo you've found for the Vinci.  Your insight is always helpful!

Thank you. I think you've made an excellent choice. I've had a hard time keeping that Hevi-13 turkey choke in stock this spring. It's a good one.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

beagler

Never Misses