turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening Day Bird Down In Va.

Started by vaturkey, April 14, 2012, 12:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaturkey

I heard this bird early in the week & was hoping he would be in the same area this morning. I got set up @ 5:15 & just waited for the spring woods to wake up. He started gobbling @ 6:05 & continued to gobble almost non stop for 25 min. At 6:30 I heard some low key hen talk. The way he was gobbling I was thinking he might be roosted alone until the hens cranked up. I did a few little soft yelps on my Challenger trumpet call that Pappy made me. The gobbler went crazy. It was breaking day quick & I knew the birds would pitch down any minute. I heard the wing beats & a hen glided out into the field. Then another, then another, then another. 4 hens . After staring down my DSD decoys they started slowly feeding in the field. Then this ole boy pitched into the field & went into strut as soon as his feet hit the ground. Once he spotted the Jake he broke strut & came charging right at him. 6:35 he died. 21 lbs. 9 ozs. 10" beard  1 1/8" spurs. It was a Great Day In The Turkey Woods !

Ricky   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

pappy

A big congrats to my Ol' Buddy in Virginia..........looks like that Challenger hit it's mark....love that license plate too!!!!!
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

FANMAN

wvnut3

Lenny870

Doug-Va

sugarray

Runnin Gunner

For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

turkey_slayer

trkycaller

neal

Love it when a plan comes together! Congrats!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

rempumpman

A big congrats on a mighty fine bird; another beard for the collection!! thank you for sharing.................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2