OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

gobbler with no beard

Started by DirtNap647, April 14, 2012, 02:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

was wondering if anybody ever seen a mature tom with no signs of a beard every morning we have this full fanned gobbler come into our back yard through the binos i can see some nice spurs full fan big bird looks like he should have a 10" beard i know hes not legal but wonder why he doesnt have a beard i mean no signs of one at all which stinks but still fun to watch

HunterMan

I did see one on my property couple years ago. I did not shoot him, so no close look. Mine also had a big bare spot on his chest. Maybe a predator caught him there?

Trevor2

Strutstopper

redarrow

Feed him some Rogaine . ;D I reckon it could be beard rot.tore off in a fight or whatever. Hope it it aint genetic. I have shot full fans with 2 or 3 in beards. Iv'e also shot a full fan with 10 in bead and no spurs. Sometimes they are just oddballs .

mikejd

Yes I have. And my dad bagged him when examined close he had a 1/4" beard. It was a funny story actually I told it in funny hunting stories from past hunts. I still laugh about it. had to be there. This was also a 3 year old bird with nice hooks just no beard. I will bump up the page.

mightyjoeyoung

Likely beard rot, froze and broke off or got it torn up in a scuffle with another bird.  I have shot birds that were strutting around an had spurs you though were gonna bite you from 30 yards out but only had a 3" nubbin poking out of his chest.  In PA, we have to positively identify the beard so even though they didn't have a ground dragger, they still took one in the face.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

afoshie

He is one of the smart ones and shave before the season.

ceejay

Turkasaurus

I have killed mature 3+ years old gobblers with less than a 1 1/2" beard and one big gobbler that didn't have any sign of anything. It happens .....   :funnyturkey:    T.
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

gophert

Quote from: Trevor2 on April 14, 2012, 08:33:59 AM
Beard rot

This would be my guess as well.  My daughter killed one last year that was at least a 3-4 yr old bird with only a 4 inch beard that was orange tipped.  The classic beard rot sign.  From the video you could hardly see a beard at all and he was 25 yards away.  See if this looks familiar.

http://youtu.be/PN8lPFbm-Pk

TRKYHTR

We had one on our ranch for 4-5 years. He had no sign of a beard. We called him no beard. He had been shot at by me and by my BIL with a bow. We should have called him lucky.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Dan Mallia

Quote from: afoshie on April 14, 2012, 09:14:14 PM
He is one of the smart ones and shave before the season.

:z-winnersmiley:  :z-guntootsmiley:   :happy0064:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

guesswho

This one got by me three times before I realized he was a mature bird.  I gave my Mom a heads up and told her if she saw three Jake's running together to shoot the big one.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Reloader

Had one come in one day and thought he was a jake until he got right on top of me and I saw his hooks.  Turned out to be the heaviest Eastern I've killed in that area.