turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Help!!!!

Started by Trip, April 12, 2012, 10:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trip

I just built my first box call out of all osage orange...it looks awesome! I cant seem to get a good sound out of it at all. Could someone please help me ou?

WillowRidgeCalls

Osage is about the worst wood to use for box calls  :) They sound good once you get them tuned out, But they are a nightmare to tune. Just keep tuning it and sooner or later you'll get it to sound good.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Trip

Im gonna add that i cant get much sound out of it at all...and i know the soundboards are not too thick...idk im super puzzled. I have looked and looked on the e-net and cant seem to find much. I am bound and determined to figure this out!

handcannon

I'm gonna agree with Willow. They are a booger to tune. I built one and that will be my only attempt at it. It took me a few attempts at getting aggravated and setting it aside before I finally started getting something out of it. It ended up being a pretty high pitched call and it wasnt something that I preferred to hunt with. I had a guy come by the house and wanted it so I sold it to him. It was by far the most aggravating tune up I ever built and at the time I had not been building for very long which didnt help either.

bcc2011

Agreed, mine went to the wood chipper. Osage is not a good wood for box calls especially if it is your first call, you might get a sound out of it but it wont be what your looking for. Poplar or butternut is a great wood for the box part of the call. Try roughing up the paddle and sound boards with 100 grit sand paper to give it some grip that might help out if you already got you sound boards thinned down.
Brother Custom Calls

redowl

if your  making a longbox . poplar box  /red cedar lid = perfection!!!

culpeper

I am sure you have a lot of hard woork into this call, but I HIGHLY recommend you put it up on the shelf and start building a call from poplar, butternut, or red cedar and try walnut, cherry and some other straight domestic woods for your lids..if you have in fact done it correctly, you'll be blown away at the sound you have.  Osage is hands down the most difficult wood to work with for a box call...ideal for a pot call and for owl hooters, etc, but don't beat your self any more,,,move on and you;ll learn more and not get so frustrated.  You nee to build your confidence first that you are doing the fundamentals right...you know the old saying, ya gotta learn how to walk before you cvan run and ya gotta learn how to swim in the shallow end befoer you tackle the deep water and furthermore, osage orange just ain't worth it.

Trip

Thanks so much for the advice guys...im definitly going to put it to good use and get started on my second call...i wish you all the best luck this spring season