OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Post: Mossberg 535. Will I like this gun?

Started by Ridgerunner7, April 12, 2012, 01:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgerunner7

I recently bought a used Mossberg 535.   After signing up on this forum I used the search function only to find several negative reviews about it not patterning well and bad recoil. 

Is there anyone happy with it?  I plan on shooting it this weekend to see how it patterns with Heavy #6s 1 3/4oz.  Hoping I don't regret this purchase.

I have a Tru Glo Extreme stopper on it but have the factory Mossberg full choke as well. 

Any input is appreciated.

pullit

First off,  :welcomeOG:

Second, a light gun will kick. The 535 is light and as a general statement, Mossbergs kick no matter if it is the 835 or the 535. If your going to just hunt turkeys with it, you will not like shooting it off the bench, but when hunting with it, when the big tom is in your sights, I don't think you will feel a thing.

woodwzrd

I bought mine last year and I love it. Out of the box I was hitting 130ish winchester supreme 3" 6's in 10 inches at 40 yards. This year I have an under taker choke and I am going to try 3 1/2" 5's and 3 1/2" 6's with the new choke. I also bought a tru-glo tactical red dot to top it off. I think you will like it. Spend some time with it at the range and find the combination that patterns the best and it will be a bonafide turkey killer

mcgruff1533

I hunt with a Mossberg 535 Tactical Turkey model.     It has a 20" barrel and an ATI adjustable stock.    With 3.5", 2 oz lead loads at 1300 fps, it's recoil will rock your world.    Hevi 3" and even 3.5" shells at 1090 fps are much more pleasant to shoot.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on shells and chokes in an effort to transform my 535 into a cold blooded Gobbler slayer.     After lots of testing and research, I've found that Hevi #7's through a .660" Indian Creek choke are the killer combo for my gun.

I like how short and compact it is for spot and stalk type hunting.   It's light weight makes it a joy to carry mile after mile.     

Do yourself a favor and really clean the snot out of the barrel and then polish it once it's squeaky clean.     Do a before and after cleaning/polishing round of tests and you'll almost certainly note an improvement.     Mossberg barrels are notoriously rough, and a good polish job will help your pattern numbers.      After polishing my 535, I picked up on average about 40 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards.

After numerous shells and choke combos, I can honestly say my 535 is a capable Turkey killer with lead out to 30-35 yards.     I can have a killer 200+ pattern at 30 yards only to have it fall apart to less than 80 pellets at 40 yards.       Pattern testing is of VITAL IMPORTANCE!!!   Please DO NOT pattern your gun at 30 yards and assume it's good at 40.     This will likely result in a missed or even worse, a wounded bird.     

After switching to Hevi #7's, I can honestly say my gun puts up a solid 200+ at 40 yards, and has enough cushion for a bit more.

I like my 535 and it's finally proven itself to me.   It has earned a place in my gunsafe and it's not going anywhere.

allaboutshooting

First of all, welcome to OG. This is a great place and we're glad to have you here. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I had a Mossberg 535 until mid-2011 when I let a friend have it. I liked it and he loves it. He used it in the fall to shoot a nice bird. It had a 22" barrel and a thumbhole stock in full camo.

I missed that gun and recently got another one. It's the "combo" turkey and waterfowl package. It has a 22" barrel for turkeys and a 28" barrel for waterfow. It has a traditional stock and Mossy Oak NBU camo.

I have yet to shoot it but before I do I will "deep clean" the bore and also pull the trigger group and clean any excess grease and oil from it. If you're not familiar with the deep cleaning process, you may click on the banner below this post and look for the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" and find the guidelines there. It really helps.

I think you made an excellent choice and I hope you enjoy your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

whiskey

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 12, 2012, 05:10:09 PM
I hunt with a Mossberg 535 Tactical Turkey model.     It has a 20" barrel and an ATI adjustable stock.    With 3.5", 2 oz lead loads at 1300 fps, it's recoil will rock your world.    Hevi 3" and even 3.5" shells at 1090 fps are much more pleasant to shoot.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on shells and chokes in an effort to transform my 535 into a cold blooded Gobbler slayer.     After lots of testing and research, I've found that Hevi #7's through a .660" Indian Creek choke are the killer combo for my gun.

I like how short and compact it is for spot and stalk type hunting.   It's light weight makes it a joy to carry mile after mile.     

Do yourself a favor and really clean the snot out of the barrel and then polish it once it's squeaky clean.     Do a before and after cleaning/polishing round of tests and you'll almost certainly note an improvement.     Mossberg barrels are notoriously rough, and a good polish job will help your pattern numbers.      After polishing my 535, I picked up on average about 40 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards.

After numerous shells and choke combos, I can honestly say my 535 is a capable Turkey killer with lead out to 30-35 yards.     I can have a killer 200+ pattern at 30 yards only to have it fall apart to less than 80 pellets at 40 yards.       Pattern testing is of VITAL IMPORTANCE!!!   Please DO NOT pattern your gun at 30 yards and assume it's good at 40.     This will likely result in a missed or even worse, a wounded bird.     

After switching to Hevi #7's, I can honestly say my gun puts up a solid 200+ at 40 yards, and has enough cushion for a bit more.

I like my 535 and it's finally proven itself to me.   It has earned a place in my gunsafe and it's not going anywhere.

That about covers my experience. I am very happy with mine and the factory choke. It gave me the best results of the 3 chokes I tried. I shot a turkey last Saturday with mine, I didn't even notice that it fired, no kick whatsoever. Now sighting in is a different story. I ain't gonna lie, it kicks very well, but so does my daughter's youth 20ga with magnum turkey loads. It's just a weight thing.

chatterbox

Negatives:
Kicks like a mule. Hardest kicking SOB I have ever shot.
Difficult to find the magic combo for chokes and loads.

Positives:
Very light. If you are into running and gunning, or your hunting takes you over alot of terrain, this gun is good for that.

I know alot of guys like this gun, but I cannot give it a good review. The barrels are the worst I have seen when it comes to being offset. Polishing did help, but the gun was still a bear to get a good pattern out of.
I had my best results from a Jelly Head .660 and 3-2-6 Hevi-13.

I wish you the best of luck with your shotgun, and I hope your experience was better than mine.

vt35mag

I own two 535's, and love them.  The best choke and shell combo I have found is the Pure Gold .670 and Hevi 13 3-2-7's or 6's.  The better of the two I have honed and polished the barrel.  She will average 210-215 #7's in a 10" circle at 40yds, and has thrown up #'s in the 240's.  The other one averages right around 180, and I havent polished that barrel or anything.  Both shoot lead Winchester HV #6's very well too.  Its been awhile since I have shot the lead, but they were both putting up over 120.
My only gripe is the POA and POI were WAY off out of the box, but adjustable sights solved that.  They are a light gun, so putting a limbsaver recoil pad doesn't hurt.  I don't get too concerned about recoil though, b/c I don't notice it shooting at game.

Ridgerunner7

Quote from: vt35mag on April 13, 2012, 08:02:43 AM
I own two 535's, and love them.  The best choke and shell combo I have found is the Pure Gold .670 and Hevi 13 3-2-7's or 6's.  The better of the two I have honed and polished the barrel.  She will average 210-215 #7's in a 10" circle at 40yds, and has thrown up #'s in the 240's.  The other one averages right around 180, and I havent polished that barrel or anything.  Both shoot lead Winchester HV #6's very well too.  Its been awhile since I have shot the lead, but they were both putting up over 120.
My only gripe is the POA and POI were WAY off out of the box, but adjustable sights solved that.  They are a light gun, so putting a limbsaver recoil pad doesn't hurt.  I don't get too concerned about recoil though, b/c I don't notice it shooting at game.

Yes!  My point of impact is 8-10" higher then my aiming point .

noggin buster

I picked up the 535 turkeys/waterfowl combo this year.  Out of the box it shot 80-90 in a 10" at 35yards.  After a deep clean it shot 100 plus in a 10" at 35 yards with Win HV 3"  6's.  I am more than pleased with the gun.  Next year I may upgrade choke and try some Hevi 13's.  But for now its a turkey killer inside 35 yards. 
:OGturkeyhead:

struttnnc

they are ok but the 535 wasnt for me , i bought one last year in a combo waterfowl/ turkey gun . it is light . the biggest gripe i had was the trigger was terrible , that thing had to be 13 or 14 lbs . i am a long range shooter and an archery instructor so squeezing the trigger is in my blood and on my mind all the time . that 535 would dang near make my eyes water trying to get it to go off . and the first time i shot a 3.5 in it ,  lol it gave me a bloody nose . you didnt have to worry about working the action , because the recoil would do it for you . honestly , it will kick a chew of tobacco out of your mouth . it just wasnt for me , but i have buddys that shoot and love them .

JPD298

I've had my 535 for three years now.  It's a good cheap gun.  Yeah the POA is a little off, but not that bad.  Yes it does kick like a mule, and I'm young a like to shoot 3 1/2 shells.  1st off, polish the barrel, it's DOES make a world of difference!! 2nd, get a good choke.  I put and Indian Creek BDS 660 on it and this gun is a killing machine!  With the IC choke, polished barrel, and 3 1/2 Hevi mag blends, it will consistently put low 200's in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Sure there's prob better, but for a couple hundred bucks, hard to beat the 535.

yelpy

I enjoy carrying my 535. It is a dream to carry and it shoots well. It does recoil a bit but what turkey load doesn't. My 11 year old nephew can handle it with a 2oz load so it can't be all that bad. Just shoot it at the range and get used to the way it recoils and learn how to handle it and you will be fine. Just make sure you shoulder it. There are a few patterns that I posted up in the pattern pics section. They are all hand loaded though.

Good luck with it and have fun!

gtrjames

My hunting buddy flattened a tom yesterday at 46 yds with his....Hevi 13- 3 in 6's, and an Undertaker tube.

spur collector

My brother's 535 consistently puts up 225 at 40 through a deep cleaned barrel with a jellyhead .660 shooting 3 1/2 mag blends.