Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cutting and running with the Zink decoys - how do you do it?

Started by Clay, April 12, 2012, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

My fellow turkeyaholics,

I know there's a big debate between DSD and Zink decoys.  My question has nothing to do with that.  It is more about usage of the Zink decoys.  I bought 2 Zink decoys (hen and jake) through the mail based on the expectation that they would fold up small enough to put in the vest while cutting and running (been using featherflex for that purpose for years).

After getting them in, I'm impressed by the looks, however I don't see how I'm going to be able to use them for a quick setup as needed while cutting and running.  If I leave them inflated, they are bulky and cumbersome, but if I deflate them to fit in my vest, it seems like it's going to take WAAAY too long to inflate in a situation where you hit a hot gobbler and need to set up immediately.  Wondering what those of you with Zink decoys do???

tha bugman

Great thread....maybe somebody can tell us since I have the same problem.....I got a Primos PHD for cutting and running and use my Zinks when I know I am going to be on field setups.  Tried cutting and running with just one of my Zinks first of the season and it wore me out trying to keep it on my shoulder while moving on a turkey...

870FaceLift

When I first got mine, I blew them up to about 90% and put them in a hot shower for ten minutes, as the directions suggested.  I then left them blown up for about three weeks in the house - just so they'd get used to not being smashed.  Now, I deflate them to about 30-40% and they both (hen and jake) fit snugly in one carry bag.  I have found that if they're at 30-40% when I enter the spot, it only takes a single long deep breath to fill each one.  When I want to cut and run, I only deflate them enough to get them both in the same bag again.  Haven't had any problems and it only takes two long breaths to get them both setup again.  I do think that the key is getting the rubber to the point that they aren't real rigid and difficult to fill.  They need broken in.  Mine fill easily now and work great for me on the run.  They both won't fit in the vest, but a single bag (+gun) to carry isn't that bad.  Just my $.02.
Pass it on...

TauntoHawk

I do pretty much the same thing, with a decoy bag from USA huntingear. partially deflate and tuck them tight in the bag, toss the should straps on and youre off. One breath and they're back in action

I've also heard a bird fire off and need to move quick to get infront, I will just grab a decoy and tuck it under my arm like a football and take off after the bird.

If i know I have a walk for a set up, thats when I will fully deflate them cinch down the bag and set them up once i get out there. I can get 3 of the zinks in my decoy bag no problem deflated when Im making a set up in a feilds ill take feeder, looker, and Jake.

Quote from: 870FaceLift on April 12, 2012, 10:38:00 AM
When I first got mine, I blew them up to about 90% and put them in a hot shower for ten minutes, as the directions suggested.  I then left them blown up for about three weeks in the house - just so they'd get used to not being smashed.  Now, I deflate them to about 30-40% and they both (hen and jake) fit snugly in one carry bag.  I have found that if they're at 30-40% when I enter the spot, it only takes a single long deep breath to fill each one.  When I want to cut and run, I only deflate them enough to get them both in the same bag again.  Haven't had any problems and it only takes two long breaths to get them both setup again.  I do think that the key is getting the rubber to the point that they aren't real rigid and difficult to fill.  They need broken in.  Mine fill easily now and work great for me on the run.  They both won't fit in the vest, but a single bag (+gun) to carry isn't that bad.  Just my $.02.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

Zink needs to come out with a bag that has two shoulder straps instead of that sling strap that is currently on there....

Clay

Bugman, how would you say the Primos PHD works for you vs. a featherflex foam decoy on the run?

TauntoHawk

yeah I had one made and its a heck of a lot nicer to carry around

Quote from: tha bugman on April 12, 2012, 11:09:08 AM
Zink needs to come out with a bag that has two shoulder straps instead of that sling strap that is currently on there....
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sand Man

I only use one hen, but if I'm running and gunning I either leave it inflated and carry it in my hand, or I deflate it just enough to stick in my vest and one good long breathe blows it up no problem.  I think it takes me maybe 3-4 when it's fully deflated.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

vtmchunter

Good question.  I just use Wal-Mart rubber decoys, and they don't always look the greatest, but I've killed birds in front of them.  I'd like to try either Zink or DSD.  Seems like it may be easier to run and gun with a DSD if it was easy to throw it in the bag.  I don't like the idea of blowing up my decoys.  I asked the guy in Cabela's how it worked, and it took him several minutes to blow it up.  Only 3-4 breaths wouldn't be so bad.

fountain2

fountain2

fountain2

As seen in the pics I pack her in and go.  The stake is back there too along with my playsport on tripod.   Im loaded when I go!  Taking the b-mobile is where it all gets a little hairy....

Clay

Thanks for the tips gents!  I'll try the partial deflated strategy this week and see if I can make it work...

Reloader

I agree with the others that it only takes one breath when partially deflated.  I usually only carry one hen for running and gunning and hardly ever deflate.  I just put her in the bag and go.  I like the bags and have not found it a hinderance on long walks.  I put them in the bag tail first and when it's time for a quick setup, I grab it by the head and yank the bag off by grabbing it by the bottom.  Works like a champ.

Sometimes when they strike up close, you don't have time to fool with any decoy, so I just sit down with the decoy by my side.  The Zink is nice and cushy if you need to relax after a while :D

I only take two if I'm going in early and know where I'm going to set up, going to a spot to call blind, or if I'm field hunting.

Also, the Zink bags work great for toting out a tom a long way.  I've slipped a couple toms in the bag and put over my shoulder, then toted the decoy by the head.  Much easier than toting one by the feet over the shoulder.  The bloody spots on the bags make for good victory marks as well :D

tha bugman

I like the PHD because unlike the other inflatables...it has a huge valve so three to four good breaths and it is ready to go....probably not that big of a difference in packability but it does fold somewhat flatter and the screen printed cover is awesome.  I don't like the metal stake...seems like they went out of their way to make it portable and then included this big honking stake you have to lug around.  Seems to me they could have done a much lighter more packable one piece packable plastic stake
Quote from: Clay on April 12, 2012, 02:19:45 PM
Bugman, how would you say the Primos PHD works for you vs. a featherflex foam decoy on the run?