turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

H&K SBE I

Started by ahaga09, April 11, 2012, 07:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahaga09

I have a H&K Benelli Super Black Eagle and with truglo pro series rifle sights I can not change the POI. I have moved the sights all the way up and down with no change. It has the "D" shim which is the lowest drop and I have ordered an A and B shim...do you think this could correct the problem?

Also, could I shoot it safely without any shims? Would it hurt the gun?

Thank you for your time and consideration

yelpy

From my experiance changing shims will without a doubt change your POI. I shoot an SBEII and use the B shim. It shoots a little high using the front bead but I recently put a Burris Speed Beed on it and it is the best sight I have tryed on this gun. Just wish the little red dot was a bit smaller.

ahaga09

Thank you for your reply...I am hoping the shims will solve the problem...will shooting without a shim at all hurt the gun?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ahaga09 on April 11, 2012, 07:40:17 AM
I have a H&K Benelli Super Black Eagle and with truglo pro series rifle sights I can not change the POI. I have moved the sights all the way up and down with no change. It has the "D" shim which is the lowest drop and I have ordered an A and B shim...do you think this could correct the problem?

Also, could I shoot it safely without any shims? Would it hurt the gun?

Thank you for your time and consideration

I have a 1991 model H&K SBE. The original barrel, a 26", shoots  low at 40 yards but is right on as far as windage.

I currently have a set of Truglo Pro Series open sights on that barrel and it shoots right to POA.

How much is your gun off and in what directions(s)?

Moving the sights should more your POI, some at least.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ahaga09

The gun is dead on left/right....but it is shooting 6" low consistently...moving the sights didn't change the POI....I am not sure why but I am hoping the shims will help

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ahaga09 on April 11, 2012, 02:33:38 PM
The gun is dead on left/right....but it is shooting 6" low consistently...moving the sights didn't change the POI....I am not sure why but I am hoping the shims will help

Most of the early H&K Benelli SBEs shot low. You can correct the elevation pretty easily. The shims can help or you could just add some height to the comb of your gun. It does not take much, a neoprene sleeve could easily do it for you if it's 6" or so at 40 yards.

I am a bit puzzled however by the POI not changing when you move the sights.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. You may find this article to be of help to you with your shims http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/do-shotgun-stock-shims-matter

ncquackersmacker

I have the same problem with my H&K SBE.  Peolpe always change the shims but I do not get it.  Will some one please tell me how changing a shim will change the POI with the gun in a vise looking down the rib.  I can see how it will affect the way the gun is shouldered and pointed wingshooting, but not when you are locked in on a vise sighting down the rib.   

ahaga09

Thanks for that article...it truly is amazing what "that little plastic wafer" will do....my A and B shims should be in friday so I am hoping they will solve the problem....I will post results when I test it out

ncquackersmacker

I am still looking for an answer to my question above about the shims.  I admit my ignorance in this matter so I would really like someone to help me see the light before I spend any money on new shims for my low shooting H&K SBE.  Allaboutshooting, you are certainly very knowledgeable on these types of matters.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ncquackersmacker on April 12, 2012, 05:53:59 PM
I am still looking for an answer to my question above about the shims.  I admit my ignorance in this matter so I would really like someone to help me see the light before I spend any money on new shims for my low shooting H&K SBE.  Allaboutshooting, you are certainly very knowledgeable on these types of matters.

The shims change the angles of the stock, drop, cast, etc. When you shoulder the gun the position of your cheek on the comb of the stock and its relationship to the bore of the gun will effect the point of impact of the shot.

You may want to read the article that I referenced earlier http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/do-shotgun-stock-shims-matter
It illustrates pretty clearly how changing the shims can effect the pattern.

When we discuss point of impact, we must always remember that the point of impact is always relative to the point of aim. In order for a change in the POI to take place, there must be a change in the position of your cheek, relative to the bore.

If you had the receiver of a gun locked into a vise you could change the angle(s) of the stock without any effect on the POI, unless at the same time you were "behind the gun" with the butt in the normal position and your cheek on the comb of the stock. Then you would have changed your POA.

As you change the angle(s) your POI relative to POA would change because you've changed the position of your cheek to the bore.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Clark

ncquackersmacker

Thanks Clark.  So with my gun in a lead sled on a bench as long as I am looking down the rib with my middle bead lined up with my front bead shims and stock angle have nothing to do with it.  The way I see it shim and stock angle are only an issue with how the gun points and how it fits you.  As an example, a gun with rifle sights is going to shoot to the same POI no matter how it is shimed if the sights are lined up.  For that matter you could take the stock off the gun and it will shoot where it is aimed.  Thank you for your patients and input but this is something I would really like to get to the bottom of.

ahaga09

NC,
  Have you fired the gun shouldered? if so, is it doing the same thing? Maybe you can correct the problem with it shouldered since you won't be taking the vice with you when you go turkey hunting. I am not saying that to be funny. I am just saying it is all in how you fire the weapon. Someone may hand me a gun that is "sighted in" but unless I can fire it accurately it really doesn't mean anything.

ncquackersmacker

I certainly understand what you are saying and you are correct about everyone shooting a gun differently.  However, I do not see it unlike a rifle which you zero of with rest.  Without that point of refernece and knowing where it shoots with no human element you have no foundation to work off of.  Again, to me the shims address the human element not the mechanical element.  I am thankful for the input I look forward to more opinions.

ahaga09

Well guys I have hit a road block...I tried the A and B shims after switching out the D shim and the POI has not changed...I have adjusted to rifle sights to the max up and down and still the gun shoots 6" low every time...I have no clue what to do...anyone have any suggestions before it goes on the market?

n2deer

Quote from: ahaga09 on April 19, 2012, 09:23:24 AM
Well guys I have hit a road block...I tried the A and B shims after switching out the D shim and the POI has not changed...I have adjusted to rifle sights to the max up and down and still the gun shoots 6" low every time...I have no clue what to do...anyone have any suggestions before it goes on the market?

Contact Benelli??