turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Gun

Started by Trapper, April 10, 2012, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper

Ordered a 835 today w/the 24" tube in RTHG. My 500 with old woodland style pattern must be 20 years old or more. It is a great gun and killed a lot of birds but it was time for an upgrade. Get some fiber optic sights and all that..
  I picked up some 3.5 Hevi 13 #6 and 3.5 Winn XRHD #6 as well as a Primos Tight Wad .690 choke
Not my first choice for a choke but it was all they had. I'm lucky they had the ammo this close to the season. I can maybe buy a different choke online an return this one as I wont have the gun for a few days...
opinions?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to touching this bad boy off @ the range as soon as it comes in.

Clif Owen

Aspirin....mine gives me a headache when I shoot it. Seriously, try a couple of different shot sizes. Mine won't shoot 6's very well. You may find that the blend or 7's shoot better in it.

Trapper

Yah, they don't have 7s (Cabellas)
I was looking for them but no dice..
I'll have to see how the 6s fly, may not be too bad....

neohiohunter

Good choice! U wont be disappointed

dirt road ninja

I'd would try the factory turkey choke that came with the gun. Mine did'nt shoot the Tightwad well at all. My 835 shoots the 6's very well with a IC .675 (200+).

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. Those are great guns and shoot some excellent patterns. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. It helps all guns but especially the 835s. That was the gun that inspired me to write the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" which has the guidelines for that procedure. You can read the article by clicking on the banner below this post.

I normally shoot 3" shells through my 835 & 935 because for me they pattern a little better and the recoil is also a little less. That allows me to get back on target more quickly and get a second shot, if one is needed or desired.

I've found that the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke is a real winner in that gun as well as my old favorite the SSX. The Pure Gold is also an excellent choice. All of those chokes have exit diameters in the .670 - .676 range which seems about best with the shells you've bought.

Whatever you choose in the way of chokes or shells, you've made an excellent choice in shotguns. Best of luck in the turkey woods this spring.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VAarrowslinger

The tightwad will work fine...I switched my .670 SSx out for a tightwad this year and went from hevi's to Xtended range 3 1/2" 6's. I shoot 150ish in 10" at 40 with a very even 20". With the SSX I got 200 with the XTrs and 200 with Hevi 6 but the pattern wasn't as even...The tight wad holds 100 in 10" at 50. This is a good hunting combo with some forgiveness!
'

'

Trapper

Thank you all, I appreciate it.
Clark, I had already read about the cleaning procedure, and we re doing all the turkey guns this weekend. I even got a new brush  ;D
VAarrowslinger, Sounds good. Those numbers are better than my current set up.
I am going to try the factory choke too.

MossbergMike

Trapper welcome to the family (Mossberg) I have had my 835 for 2 years now and absolutely love my decision. I can't say enough about how well it has held up. This year is the first year I deep cleaned it and it does make a very noticeable difference. So I recommend you do that. I also recommend looking at a better stock for the recoil I just ordered a blackhawk knoxx and am awaiting its arrival so I can give a review on it.  Other than that you would have much enjoyment out of it. I shoot regular old lead out of it and at 40 yards using win supreme 3 in #6 shot I get a decent pattern. Also got a sumtoy choke .675 everyone that has a sumtoy on there 835 raves about there patterns so you might want to look at that. Well enjoy and let us know how you do with your new turkanator.   

Trapper

Thanks MosbergMike,
Not new to the family though, being a lefty I took to the 500 years ago and never looked back.
Never liked the Remington/Winchester safety.
Back when they were made in North Haven, near me, I was able to go and get parts if I needed something, they were really good. 

Full Flight

Great gun...I own one myself.  As previously stated I polished the barrel....I put a red dot on it and love it.....I shot 3 different chokes and 6 different shells.....I did the best with hevi 13 #6 2-1/4 oz with the primos jellyhead.  With this setup I put 233 pellets in a 10" at 40 yards with a nice even pattern without any gaps.  This was my setup have fun finding the one that works best for you.