OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Regular ol' turkey loads???

Started by Kenny, April 10, 2012, 09:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I'm a working man with two kids, and simply can't afford the top of the line hevishot and other similar loads. Anybody shoot regular old school loads you can get at walmart? My shots are always less than forty yards. I've shot a bunch of different kinds, and are fond of the Remington nitro 3 inch #6's. What do y'all like?

Deputy 14

I usually shoot hevi shot loads but I've got some good lead patterns out of the Winchester HV loads. I think I paid $14 for 10 of them.

stinkpickle

My three favorite budget (and currently available) loads all wear the Winchester badge.  SuperX, HV, and DoubleX.

JnL

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 10, 2012, 09:36:04 PM
My three favorite budget (and currently available) loads all wear the Winchester badge.  SuperX, HV, and DoubleX.

:icon_thumright: As far as lead goes, from my experience, you can't go wrong with one of these.

Trapper

Quote from: JnL on April 10, 2012, 09:42:56 PM

:icon_thumright: As far as lead goes, from my experience, you can't go wrong with one of these.

PLUS 1 !
I've used the Winn supreme lead and other Winn lead turkey offerings for years, they worked great as long as I kept the range around 30or less.
I never seemed to have quite as good results with Federals or Remingtons

Trevor2

130 pellets in 10/40 with win hv #6 out of my rem special purpose 870 21" barrel and ssx choke
Strutstopper

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gtrjames

If I weren't shooting Hevi shot, I'd go Winchester Supreme HV # 5 or 6...best shell available for the $

goblr77

The cheap Win gray box 1-7/8oz #6's pattern well in most outfits.

MossbergMike

Quote from: Trapper on April 10, 2012, 09:49:27 PM
Quote from: JnL on April 10, 2012, 09:42:56 PM

PLUS 1 !
I've used the Winn supreme lead and other Winn lead turkey offerings for years, they worked great as long as I kept the range around 30or less.
I never seemed to have quite as good results with Federals or Remingtons
x2

mikejd

Definetly winchester HV. That's all I ever use. I'm going to play around with some of the new stuff this year but the HV' s are great. I misjudged a bird last season and dropped him like a stone at 54 yds with HV #4's. Now I wouldn't go takin shots like that but 40 yds no prob.

Reloader

When talking price for performance, Winchester Super X grey box 1-7/8oz #6 loads can't be beat.  Less than $7 for a box of 10 at Walmart and match or exceed the performance of just about any lead turkey load on the market.  I have rigs that go 130s with them, which is pretty darn good for lead IMO.

WildTigerTrout

Win Supreme HV. Best lead load on the market IMO.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mightyjoeyoung

Winchester supreme HV lead, supreme XX, and the ole' standby for many hunters for years, the Super X grey box loads...fantastic lead loads every one.  I'll add the older Federal Premium lead loads with the triple plus wads to the top of that list.  While the Win stuff is great, the Federals are just a notch above every other readilly available lead load out there.  All my 835s love every one of these loads but the Fed stuff is simply incredible in all three.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

snapper1982

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 11, 2012, 11:04:08 AM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 11, 2012, 10:55:07 AM
Winchester supreme HV lead, supreme XX, and the ole' standby for many hunters for years, the Super X grey box loads...fantastic lead loads every one.  I'll add the older Federal Premium lead loads with the triple plus wads to the top of that list.  While the Win stuff is great, the Federals are just a notch above every other readilly available lead load out there.  All my 835s love every one of these loads but the Fed stuff is simply incredible in all three.

Just another example of, if it ain't broke...break it. Fed had a great thing going and obviously have the technology and know how to go back to it. They could once again be the top turkey load mfg, if they would drop the FCW, but I fear they have too much pride and too much advertising water under the bridge to admit they made a mistake.
i dont think fed made a mistake with making shells with fcw wads. i have gotten awesome patterns with them. where fed made the mistake is not continuing making loads with out the fcw wad for the guys who do not like it.
Winchester Remington and Federal all make good loads. you just got to find the one YOUR gun likes