turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger 3500 factory turkey choke stuck in barrel

Started by JnL, April 10, 2012, 06:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

istuffanimals

Same thing happened to me. Gun was shot several times in Kansas this past weekend. When I got home this weekend I was gonna take the factory choke out and  lean it. It unscrewed fine. But when I tried to pull it the rest of the way out, I almost couldn't pull it out with my hand. Stinks cause it slung a great pattern with the factory choke. Now I am shooting a jelly head the doesn't pattern as well but to late to do anything else mid season.

Richyb

I had a factory stoeger choke stuck in my p350. I think their factory chokes are garbage and expand a bit when shot. I have replaced all of mine with carlsons chokes and they thread in and out perfect.

SumToy

I got a friend to run his by.  It had a very few rounds out of it.  It had started to swell.  It is about a 1/2 inch up the choke.  Now this choke had a big mouth/inlet on it.  The bore on this gun runs around 722 and the point that the choke is 720 is about a 1/2 inch in.  Now this will put alot of stress on the choke at this point with the sharp tapper.  They need to make the choke longer or make the mouth of the choke smaller.  Just my 2 cent.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Mike Honcho

I bought a new Stoeger 3500 just before turkey season but it's actually my third turkey gun (really bought it for waterfowl).  I thought the extended factory turkey choke looked like very soft metal,  I shot a couple of 3" lead turkey loads thru it and found little metal shavings coming off the inside of the choke tube.

I won't use it again.

Also I tried an Undertaker choke in it (only Benelli  mobil choke I had handy) and it was difficult to screw in.  Screws in fine in my friends Nova. 

I haven't used my 3500 for turkeys yet but if I do it is definitely getting a better choke than the factory turkey choke.

NC-struts

I just bought the stoeger p-350 turkey edition and the dealer I got mine from said to make sire to use a fair amount of choke tube grease because he was having issues with guns being brought back to him with the choke tube welded to the barrel.  But this discussion has me a little concerned.  I am totally green when it comes to turkey hunting but can anyone recommend some good name brand chokes.  Thanks.

Widowmaker

Quote from: NC-struts on April 18, 2012, 07:30:44 PM
I just bought the stoeger p-350 turkey edition and the dealer I got mine from said to make sire to use a fair amount of choke tube grease because he was having issues with guns being brought back to him with the choke tube welded to the barrel.  But this discussion has me a little concerned.  I am totally green when it comes to turkey hunting but can anyone recommend some good name brand chokes.  Thanks.
I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of choke lube you put on the threads. I had my threads lubed up, and it unscrewed fine. It bulges about a half inch below the threads, on the shaft of the choke. I put my Rhino in and have had no problems. Stoeger offered to look at my barrel and choke, but I have not sent it back.

JnL

Quote from: NC-struts on April 18, 2012, 07:30:44 PM

Lube definitely isnt the problem.  At least not in my case.  Refer to SumToy's post above, as it describes the problem with these chokes.  As for choke recommendations I suggest you give William over at SumToy a call.  Great guy and he'll make sure you get what you're looking for.