turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger 3500 factory turkey choke stuck in barrel

Started by JnL, April 10, 2012, 06:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JnL

First off wanted to say Hello.  Been reading here for quite some time, but just now gettin around to posting.  

Anyone else here had the same experience with their factory M3500 turkey choke?  I purchased the gun new about 2 months ago, but never put any rounds through that choke until a few days ago.  I had no intentions of hunting with it, but I was curious how it would pattern.  All I had at the time was some Winchester 3'' #6's and after about 10 rounds the choke refused to come out.  Once I got home I was finally able to muscle the choke out, but it took a while.  I had started to second guess myself, thinking I had forgot to lube it.  I took a closer look once I had the tube out and noticed that halfway between the threads and the bottom of the choke that the matte black finish had started to rub off.  Above and below this point it still looks brand new.  The only conclusion I can come up with is that somehow the choke expanded in the barrel.  The barrel looks fine, and as far as I can tell everything is ok with it.  The good news is that this gave me a good excuse to place my order at SumToy!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Bout time to get these steaks on the fire.  Have a good evenin all!

-Josh

reynolds243

You are gonna like that sumtoy in that gun. My 3500 shoot it pretty good!

JnL

Thats what I've been hearing.  I talked to William earlier today and he's an outstanding gentleman to deal with.  I have no doubt he will deliver a quality product.  Ill put up some pics in the pattern section once I get it in.

- Josh

Luke95

I <3 my Sumtoy with lead I 272 in the 20 inch from my 20 at 20 yds

Luke95
Sumtoy Get Choked

JnL

Quote from: Luke95 on April 10, 2012, 11:39:47 PM
I <3 my Sumtoy with lead I 272 in the 20 inch from my 20 at 20 yds

Luke95

Nothin wrong with that!  Put any birds down with it?

Widowmaker

My factory choke is stuck in the barrel as we speak. Just got a Rhinoo for it and was gonna take the factory one out, and it's stuck. It unscrews fine because I put lube on it when I installed it, but it won't slide out. I'm scared to force it out fro fear of damaging the threads as it crosses them.

mightyjoeyoung

Guys, that is what happens when you shoot incredibly HARD, unyielding HTL shot through a choke that is made from metal too soft to handle anything but lead.  Not trying to flame you guys, but there have been a few issues already noted with the factory turkey choke in the M-3500 and how soft the metal is.  No doubt, if you guys were shooting HTL shot through it, it buldged the choke.  Makes you wonder why manufacturers put "LEAD SHOT ONLY" on the side of some of their chokes, doesn't it?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

JnL

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 14, 2012, 06:05:21 PM
Guys, that is what happens when you shoot incredibly HARD, unyielding HTL shot through a choke that is made from metal too soft to handle anything but lead.  Not trying to flame you guys, but there have been a few issues already noted with the factory turkey choke in the M-3500 and how soft the metal is.  No doubt, if you guys were shooting HTL shot through it, it buldged the choke.  Makes you wonder why manufacturers put "LEAD SHOT ONLY" on the side of some of their chokes, doesn't it?

I was shooting 3" 1 7/8oz #5 lead through the choke.  No fancy HTL stuff here.  I put #6 in my original post by mistake, but I just double checked the box of hulls I saved.  Anyhow, after talking with numerous people on the topic, it seems there is a flaw in the chokes' design.  No big deal to me.  The 3500 is an excellent semi for the money and the choke was just a bonus.

reynolds243

"The 3500 is an excellent semi for the money and the choke was just a bonus."

yup! heck i never even shot mine, just put it in the gun safe and slid in the sumtoy choke.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: JnL on April 14, 2012, 06:30:15 PM

I was shooting 3" 1 7/8oz #5 lead through the choke.  No fancy HTL stuff here.  I put #6 in my original post by mistake, but I just double checked the box of hulls I saved.  Anyhow, after talking with numerous people on the topic, it seems there is a flaw in the chokes' design.  No big deal to me.  The 3500 is an excellent semi for the money and the choke was just a bonus.

Gotcha!  With just lead 5's huh?  Not good.  For THAT GOOD of a gun to really only have that kind of issue, isn't too bad, even though I don't consider something like a minor issue as it can seriously ruin someone's day if it got stuck so tight that it ruined the threads on the barrel too.  I really like the 3500, but if I were looking at one to use for turkey, I would automatically be looking for an aftermarket choke for it too.  If I were you, I would email the company and make them aware of the problem, anybody that's had it happen as there is obviously some serious metalurgy issues that need remedied in a hury.  Good luck.

allaboutshooting

Unfortunately, many times it does not take hard shot, steel or tungsten-based, to cause this problem. That can happen to any choke, extended or flush. It can be caused by a choke tube not seating properly or shooting just slightly loose.

Chokes of that design must be relatively thin and since they thread at the muzzle end, even a slight loosening can cause a problem. That is one design that requires that some extra torque be put on the choke when it's installed. I don't recommend that you get carried away but just make sure they are well seated and tight. I also recommend that you check them after every shot.

Fortunately, on most occasions, there is no barrel damage but it can be tough to extract one of those flush mounted chokes with it's really stuck.

Lastly, it is important to check a choke to see if it's "Steel or Hevi-Shot" approved or "Okay for steel or Hevi-Shot". If for no other reason than if you have a real problem and need to return it to the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

JnL

That's sound advice Clark.  I didn't know they were that sensitive.  Definitely makes sense though.

Originally, I had never planned on even shooting with that choke, but curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see what kind of numbers I could get out of the lead rounds I had sitting around.  I was checking the choke after every shot, and it did infact loosen slightly after the first shot.  After that it was snug every time, apparently a little too snug lol.  I've heard of chokes getting stuck before, but it had never happened to me.  

I shot an email over to Stoeger the other day.  I'm curious as to what their explanation is.  

Thanks for everyones input.  Definitly appreciate it!

- Josh

JnL

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 14, 2012, 06:48:09 PM

Gotcha!  With just lead 5's huh?  Not good.  For THAT GOOD of a gun to really only have that kind of issue, isn't too bad, even though I don't consider something like a minor issue as it can seriously ruin someone's day if it got stuck so tight that it ruined the threads on the barrel too.  I really like the 3500, but if I were looking at one to use for turkey, I would automatically be looking for an aftermarket choke for it too.  If I were you, I would email the company and make them aware of the problem, anybody that's had it happen as there is obviously some serious metalurgy issues that need remedied in a hury.  Good luck.

I completely missed your post!  I agree with you though.  If that's the only issue I have with it, then i'll be a completely satisfied customer.  On the other hand, if the barrel had suffered damage, man oh man.  To say i'd be mad would be a complete understatement.  Warranty or not lol.  Hopefully I'll get my sumtoy in the mail next week to complete my new turkey killin package. 

- Josh

Widowmaker

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 14, 2012, 06:48:09 PM

I too was not shooting HTL. I shot regular 2 3/4 #6 high brass game loads, and a couple of 3" Win. High Velocity #6 shells just to start to zero my red dot, and break the gun in. I was able to get the choke out and put my new Rhino in. The Rhino fits with no problem, but I have not shot it yet with this new choke.

mightyjoeyoung

I own a SBE II that uses front threaded chokes and have never had an issue.  It has had THOUSANDS of rounds of trap, field, waterfowl and turkey loads through it and not once have I ever had a choke buldge on me.  I do have the habit of constantly checking the choke to make sure it's snug, but I have never found it loose even after a serious sesion of shooting waterfowl loads from the layout.  I hope you guys don't have any further issues.  Good luck with your new chokes too.