OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My daughter's 1st Bird of 2012 - HD Video Footage

Started by gophert, April 10, 2012, 05:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Well to say it was an eventful morning is an understatement.  It started at Leah's "honey-hole" as she calls it.  At daylight there was probably 4 or 5 birds gobbling their heads and at least 4 times that many hens cutting and cackling.  To be honest, I could do nothing with them.  To say they were henned up is another understatement.  At about 7:15 we decided to move just across the property and the minute I put the decoys out Leah said, "Dad, they are gobbling back where we were".  I get so frustrated when that happens.  I tell myself to be patient as I am packing everything up.  Needless to say we move around and get ahead of the birds.  Now keep in mind, I am hunting with my 11 year old daughter who requires, a blind, decoys, hd video camera, calling vest etc, so moving on turkeys is not an easy task.  We finally get set up in this little opening on the side of the property and the birds are making their way to us.  When I start calling, the hens that are with them start taking the gobblers back in the direction they came...away from us.  I guess they were jealous hens.  Needless to say, I lay the hammer to them and then go silent.  That was all it took.  After about an hour of ups and downs with these birds, they leave the hens and commit.  The 870 20 ga loaded with TSS #9s did the trick.  The 2nd shot was me trying to pull off the double.  I knocked the camera and blind over in a weak attempt to shoot at one of the birds.  No harm done...I missed him clean.  I hope you enjoy the HD footage.

http://youtu.be/zXmARliJQXE

a-j calls

Flydown

Great job! Congrats to you both!!! I love the victory dance!  :icon_thumright:

TRKYHTR

Loved the turkey dance after the kill. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

noggin buster

Rope

Great story.Really liked the victory dance!!! :icon_thumright:
Freedom is NOT free

Fullfan

Nice work, at least you did not have a far walk to the house.
Don't gobble at me...

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gophert

Quote from: Fullfan on April 10, 2012, 07:12:57 PM
Nice work, at least you did not have a far walk to the house.

Isn't that crazy.  The video makes it look like we are in a sub-division or something.  We are out in the country of TN, but these birds travel that house's driveway and roost in the trees in the front yard. They fly down and go across the 1 lane country road to a huge cattle farm, but for some reason they love that spot.  That clearing is a strut zone. 

Ol'Mossy

Duke0002

njdevilsb

Iowaturkey

OntGobbler

Rio Fan

Congrats to both of you!  That's a great picture of both of you at the end of the video.  :icon_thumright: