OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strategy Change Works!!

Started by harleytom, April 10, 2012, 01:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

I've been chasing this bird for over 2 weeks. He would gobble off the roost (forever) and then fly down and strut without ever offering to come to a call. Saturday we played cat and mouse for about 6 1/2 hrs before I gave up and declared him the winner. After a couple of days to think about it I decided to go in this morning with a different approach. When he gobbled off the roost before daylight I called softly twice to make sure he knew where I (the hens) were and then shut up (probably tried to call too much Saturday). He continued to gobble and then did what he did Saturday, flew down and wouldn't move. I decided if the mountain won't come to Mohamad then, well you know the rest. I moved across the powerline I was set up on to an old logging road that I knew circled behind where he was strutting. I would move a few yards then wait for him to gobble again to verify his position. It took about an hour to cover the 300 yards separating us but I finally got to within 70 yards of where he was. I called softly once and he moved into sight on a rise about 50 yards away. He seemed nervous even then so I decided it was now or never. Drew a fine bead and fired a load of 3.5in Hevi 7's at him. He flopped and after a little foot to neck desuscication it was over. Best spurs I have ever taken. He is really underweight but it could be from chasing the ladies. Feels good to fool one at his own game.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BigHooks

Congrats, nothing like a set of BigHooks!!!!!!!!!

honker22

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

neal

Awesome on two levels!! Thinking about what you did wrong and changing it and knowing your gun to have the confidence at 50yds.

Congrats on a well earned bird and a dandy at that!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

870FaceLift

Wow.  That ol boy's got some daggers!  Nice job
Pass it on...

RS

Those spurs probably give an indication of why he was acting the way he did. They don't grow them like that by being easy to fool.  Congrats on a hard earned trophy.

jellybusta

Way to go! Nice Hooks! Sneaking intothe birds strut zoneand minimal calling seem to be the way to go with old birds you may get busted once in a while but its worth the risk when you dont. I killed one closing day last year with a 1" 5/8 and a 1 3/4 spur practically doing the same thing, its really a challenge to get within a hundred yards with no hills to help

renegade19

Rio Fan

Those are some hooks - congrats!  :icon_thumright:

ceejay

A fine gobbler ....  good job !!!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

gophert

He's a P90X bird....lean and mean.  Great story and nice bird!

boomer

Congrats!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

870supermagnum