turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2012 Wheelin' Sportsman Hunt, Comanche Creek Ranch, Texas

Started by tgs, April 09, 2012, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgs

Here are a few pictures from a Wheelin' Sportsman hunt I had the pleasure to be involved with last week. 
From March 31-April 2, Mr. Tom Horton and Mr. Mike Poe graciously hosted the Wheelin' Sportsmen for a national turkey hunt and leadership meeting at their 2,000 acre Comanche Creek Ranch in Quanah, Texas.  This event brought together volunteers and Wheelin' Sportsmen members from across the country.  13 states were represented in this inaugural event and this diversity of participants was a perfect setting for Wheelin' Sportsmen volunteer leaders to share tips, tricks and stories about how to further grow this program we are all so passionate about.  Through a formal presentation (see attached PowerPoint) and informal conversations throughout the week, the event proved to be extremely fruitful as several participants expressed interest in taking on leadership roles with the Wheelin' Sportsmen program in their home states. 

Our 5 Wheelin' Sportsmen hunters for the week came from Oklahoma, Florida, Maryland, Arizona and Colorado.  Each hunter was paired with a NWTF volunteer to act as guides, which included Troy Fields from Maine, Mike Lowder (Illinois NWTF State Chapter President) and myself.  In addition, we had two friends along from Utah, Dale Pearson and Rich Coles, that acted as cameramen to film the hunts for Rocky Mountain Athlete and the Sportsmen's Warehouse television show.  Due to a phenomenal hatch 2 years ago, there were a ton of longbeards on the ranch this year, and through some solid scouting and execution from our guides, I am proud to say our 5 hunters took 8 gobblers.  For any of you that have participated in fair chase Wheelin' Sportsmen events, you know that is quite an awesome success rate!  Of the 5 hunters, 3 of those hunters harvested their first ever turkey on this trip, which is always something special to share with someone.  After our hunters left on Monday, the guides, which had travelled from across the country to volunteer their time,
got the opportunity to hunt for ourselves.

Pass the Tradition Along

tgs

Pass the Tradition Along

tgs

Pass the Tradition Along

wvboy

Beautiful photos.. congrats to all involved in such a wonderful hunt..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

870FaceLift

These pictures are stunning - thanks for sharing!  Sounds like a great event  :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

tgs

Thanks guys...The Wheelin' Sportsman really are a special group.

Pass the Tradition Along

barry

Congrats! We'll be hosting our 7th Wheelin hunt on April 28 here in VA.

Isomaad

Great job guys and gals.  Those are some beautiful birds and photos.  Well done!