turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Easter Weekend Gobbler

Started by jyoung, April 09, 2012, 09:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyoung

I had a awesome hunt this weekend with my brother-in-law.  Beautiful weather and the birds were gobbling!  We chased these turkeys all day on Good Friday and came very close to sealing the deal a few times.  We went back out that evening and called his hens into our setup, but no gobbler.  The dominate hen got aggravated at my DSD not being very sociable so she came over to check out the situation and made an aggravated purr with a few sharp clucks and he hammers 50 yards to my left.  Well, he never came all the way in but we  put them all to bed not 70 yards from us.  Next morning.  We set up before daylight, I put my DSD back out and we just waited.  I soon heard soft tree yelping follwed by them gobbling.  I quickly answered along with the other hens and they gobble again.  They gobbled a few more times on their own at owls and crows, and I just sit silent.  They all heard me and they all know where I am... It's not long I hear birds start flying down.  I see heads coming and one hen lights right in front of our setup.  We sit there and watch the hens feeding and checking out the decoy again and all of a sudden there they are!  Coming down a logging road right into our setup all blown up! Their white crowns looked like  light bulbs glowing in the early morning dimness.  They come out into the opening and put on a show for us strutting and gobbling in our face.  (We were suppose to have videoed this hunt but somebody forgot the camera!!) Anyways, we were waiting on the best opportunity to double but the birds did not cooperate with our plan and it came to the point to where it was now or never so I told brother-in-law to shoot the bird on the right and I would shoot the one on the left.  Shoot on (3)! I count 1...2... and then I shoot followed by Dustin right behind me!  I asked him...Did you get him? And he says yea, but I think you got him first. Do what?!? Why didn't you shoot the bird on the right? He said that the bird had moved into a few bushes and was not really sure if he could get a clean shot.  So I told him we could share bragging rights on him.  I had a blast chasing turkeys all weekend and spending some quality time with my brother-in-law!

10.25" Beard
1.25" Spurs
18.5 LBS

Good luck to all and God bless!
Jonathan
Jonathan Young

cornfedkiller

pullit

Best laid plans don't always work out, but congrats to both of you on one real dead turkey :icon_thumright:

JVA54

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

DirtNap647

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

boomer