OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

questions

Started by Clif Owen, April 08, 2012, 08:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clif Owen

Time for me to exhibit my ignorance again...I have noticed that several materials being used for friction calls both as a surface and sound board. What are the advantages of any one of them over another? What are your favorites and why?

Clif Owen

Hmmmm....wrong section?

Clif Owen

TTT....I'm guessing everybody is either busy or doesn't want to help because I'm new and you don't know me.

Hookhunter

Cliff,
I use glass slate and metal only thing I can really say for sure is glass and metal work in the rain metal shines in the sun slate is the best sounding (of my calls) but if it gets wet at all it's done until dry. I know not what you were looking for but couldn't leave you hanging. Lol

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: Clif Owen on April 10, 2012, 05:02:06 PM
TTT....I'm guessing everybody is either busy or doesn't want to help because I'm new and you don't know me.

It's not that nobody want to help. It is a busy time of the year, but in all honesty you could search through the archives and find post after post after post on the subject.

Basically you'll find that each surface has something going for it. I have a hard time picking a favorite, but I will probably go with aluminum for its versatility.

captin_hook

Hey cliff, my favorite call is a glass pot. You can get very loud with it or tone it down. The type of striker means a lot also, softer wood- deeper softer sounds. Hard wood- loud sharp sound. Slate pots are a softer sound also.. I like to use a glass pot as my primary call, and u keep a slate with me to seal the deal. And it doesn't matter to me if I know you or not, ill talk turkey any time I can with anyone who wants too. I just didn't read your post yet. Guys here seem to be the same way.. we are on this site because we are all turkey freaks. A lot of guys are still huntin right now, me I'm from pa and I got a couple of weeks left to wait.

Clif Owen

That's kind of what I'm looking for.....and have searched the archives some but no answers. For instance, if 1 works better than another because of humidity. Or if someone feels that a surface sounds better or not. I'm wanting to buy another call and am torn as to what material as well as brand. I see a bunch of different guys advertising here and really am not asking for an opinion as to maker because we all will have a prejudice...whether we want to or not.

But you guys are alot more experienced than I am. It seemed odd though that there were over 100 views at one time and 2 of the 4 responses were mine. But I do understand being busy.

Thanks again guys for the help.

captin_hook

I like a glass call. My favorite is a Cody. I do own some custom glass calls but my Cody II is my favorite. As far as humidity and rain go, I always keep a waterproof striker with me. Hope you get some more opinions cliff. Happy hunting.

870BkWht

Cliff, it really all comes down to personal preference.  Jon Q. Citizen might prefer aluminum as a striking surface where someone else might prefer slate.  The more pots you have the chance to hear and run, you will start to form opinions and preferences on the types of sounds, volume, versitility, etc.   I personally prefer crystal, ceramic, and copper over glass, slate, and aluminum.  Each surface has its own plus and minus.  Ill give you the rundown as I see it.

Slate - great for finishing calls, soft purs, clucks, purrs, etc.  Adversly effected by moisture.
Glass - good for louder calling, but can also tone it down as well.  
Aluminum - Can be screaming loud, but also really quiet as a finishing call.  If used with right striker, can be very weather resistant.
Copper - Depending on the striker, can be really loud and raspy and also soft and clear as well.  Downside is it needs to be conditioned more than others.
Ceramic - a hybrid sound between aluminum and slate, but almost maintanence free (almost no conditioning).  Good volume range and realism.
Crystal - known for being raspy and nasally like a real hen, Excellent range of volume, and in my opinion is the most realistic surface.
Bronze Glass - very similar sound to crystal, but also similar to regular glass, good volume, sharper, crisper sounding.  
Bead Blasted Glass - Is glass that has been sandblasted to make conditioning the glass easier.  Sometimes, it has more of a hollowish shound to it.  

Keep in mind that the above is purely my observations and my opinions.  You as is anyone else entitled to your own.  Good luck on purchasing a new call.  

flatliner

What 870 says it right but there are other factors that figure in when build the call you can buld the call to specs of the customer I can put a slate together that will scream and a alum that will get low and dirty. But for the most part 870 was right there are variables in sound board height stiker material pot material sound board material and so on.

If you are looking to get a custom pot call the different call builds and talk to them they will tell you their preferences. Me for example I dont really care for ceramic. I will make them if someone wants but not just to make one for me. A good call maker will tell you if he can or cant get you the sound you are looking fro and what he needs to use in ref to material to get that sound.

i havent messed with copper much because I personally dont like it thats just me. I have a customer that has been one me for a couple of years to make him one. I have tried to refer him to guys I know that build good copper calls but he is insistant That I make it. He is really particular when he orders a pot with the way he wants it to sound. I have messed with that frigin thing for months and cant get what I think he wants so I wont send it to him No telling how many pots I have scrapped just trying to get it. Most folks I would have just told NO I dont make them but he is a REALLY good customer who has placed several orders with me over the years and ONLY WILL RUN MY CALLS. Not saying that my are the greatest out there he just really likes them. Thinking about it I REALLY NEED MORE LIKE HIM  ;D

I hope this helped because I kinda got long winded

Kehl