turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Obnoxious died this morning

Started by Runnin Gunner, April 08, 2012, 06:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runnin Gunner

After three weeks of whipping our butts, the gobbler we named Obnoxious died just before 9am this morning. He had whipped our butts for three straight weeks.  He either went the other way, stayed with his hens, circled around us, got there before we did or just wouldn't come.

He gobbled early,he gobbled late and he gobbled often. He earned his name by gobbling his head off morning after morning, noon after noon and night after night.  He would gobble until we all thought he was going to pass out. We got close several times.  Thirty yards east and he was ours.  Twenty yards south and he gets to ride in a truck.  You guys know what im talking about.  I know many or even most of you know first hand about a boss like this one, but this guy took over our hunting camp. Everyone turkey hunter there hunted him and most left thinking he was a ghost. 

We left him gobbling at 8:43 pm last night and he was up before we got set up this morning. He started at 6:45am and didn't fly down until 100 gobbles and forty five minutes later. Then he spent the next forty five minutes gobbling well over a hundred more times where he landed.  We got a quick glimpse at 75 yards through the cypress trees as he skirted by us. After giving him the lead and a quick yelp to check his temperature we circled around and he fired up again but this time we were right in front of him.

The clucking and yelping from JohnDoe turned him to the right and he gobbled as he walked.  When he got to the road he hit the brakes and spun around making me think, "been here before.". As John yelped in the edge of the swamp, I purred and clucked.  But, when I scratched the leaves a few times, he stopped again and wheeled towards me.  The second purr and scratching brought forth the last gobble from Obnoxious. He skirted the road and closed the distance until he took one final step into a small opening between two oaks.  The Kick's Gobbling Thunder sent the 3 1/2 hevi blend home and the celebration started.  What a hunt!  What an adventure and a memory that can never be forgotten. 

I thank my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for the salvation we celebrate today for and I thank my good friend JohnDoe for taking the time to invest day after day in showing me the right way to chase these birds around the woods.

By the way, Obnoxious was 20 pounds and had a thick ten inch beard.  His left spur was 1 1/4 inches long and his right spur was a whopping 1 5/8 inches long.

Well, that was number two, so I'm done. Now we are going to get my son his first bird!

If I knew how to put a photo on here I would.  If I can get it figured out, I will.
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

chatterbox

Congrats on a fine hunt, and sticking with a tough old bird till you got it done! :icon_thumright:

BOFF

CONGRATS!!

Go to "Forum Rules, Guidelines &Technical Help"

The first post in the section explains how to post images to your post!!

God Bless,
David B.

Reloader

Awesome! Congrats on a fine tom.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

mossy835

Well you hung in there and success came your way, great story!!
Anyone in your family that has a computer that can help you get started with the pictures?

hookedspur

P + P = P
Patience + Persistence = PAY-OFF    :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Trapper

Awesome story, I love the story behind the kill or the hunt.  Congratulations!
Good Luck with your sons hunt. Nothing better when it comes to hunting than having your kids take an animal. Can't wait for pics... 

Runnin Gunner

For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

Runnin Gunner

Runnin Gunner

timbrhuntr

Ol'Mossy

Nice bird, I have a call just like that one, except mine has a ceramic pot  :icon_thumright:

mossy835

You now have the best of two worlds, shooting turkeys and posting the pictures that go along with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cannonball

4nwtf

:drool: love it when that type of bird meets his end