OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

zink turkey decoys

Started by rodneyd, February 25, 2011, 05:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneyd

which decoy should i get a zink turkey decoy, the pic of them look awesome? or cabelas has a HS Strut hard body decoy on sale?

mudhen

Sorry, I was all ready to like the Zink LCD, they look good, but I just can't buy it.  Too heavy, don't like the valve, don't like the stake, don't like the price, etc.  Spent a lot of time pondering them at BPS, but ended up passing.  Maybe if they were $49?  $59?

I'll stick with my upright DSD hen for now + maybe a Pretty Mama feeder or a Pretty Penny HD.

I do like that HS Hardbody on sale at Cabela's, for $49 you can hardly go wrong...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

fallhnt

Zink,$80,needs to be in hot water 10 min. before use,and have to inflate in field.     DSD,$120,ready to use,made in USA.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

shootumindaface

I looked at them at the convention.. There is absolutely no comparison between them and DSD.. I do not care for the coloring on the Zink, its heavy and its blow up..

shootumindaface

I dare say its the third best looking decoy.. IMO the floozie looks better :begging:

My buddy just won a Zink last night at a banquet... Should we see if it can take a few stray pellets as advertised

Gobble!

I think the zink decoys really look good but I do not like the fact they blow up

TauntoHawk

calling it too heavy is just laughable.. do you need someone to carry your extra shells because they are weighing you down too much. it might be a pound heavier than the DSD when i compared them side by side. dont want to inflate them in the field than carry them like a hard body, it takes me 3 1/2 breaths to fill mine. I have seen them take 35 pellets and not leak, will they live through a direct hit NO but no decoy will.

they look great and i like the fact that the can be deflated and stuffed away for a long hike. got mine for $67 so at almost half the price of DSD at $120 it was a no brianer. I got a standing hen and my hunting partner got the feeding one. as for the hot water thing thats a once and done thing when you take it out of the box to get the creases out from being jam packed in the box. 

the only flaw I see could be if the valve breaks or leaks but only time will tell with that.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

simpzenith

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 26, 2011, 01:08:19 PM
calling it too heavy is just laughable.. do you need someone to carry your extra shells because they are weighing you down too much.

When it comes to decoys that claim to be collapsible or inflatable, yes they are heavy. Every ounce matters when you consider all the gear one may carry while turkey hunting. I think the biggest drawback is that it is very bulky even when deflated. Still a good looking decoy though. As for the extra shells, why carry any more than what will fit in your gun. How many times do you plan on missing?  :TooFunny:

FireDoc

If it was intended to replace my Primos collapsible She Mobile decoy, (which my next collapsible decoy will be purchased to do), then it better be as light or close to it. Comparing the Zink decoy to it, it is substantially heavier. Why would I spend $70+ more to get a heavier, slower setup (due to inflating) decoy? Because it is more appealing to my eye?  ::)

That isn't laughable. It's a fact.

No thanks.
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

Gobble!

calling it too heavy is just laughable

not at all. most people dont want to carry a decoy at all because of this

I have seen them take 35 pellets and not leak, will they live through a direct hit NO but no decoy will. 

must of been a super decoy. the one at the sportsman show had 1 pellet in it and it leaked to the point it could not be inflated. DSD used to have a picture on there site showing a decoy that took a direct hit and it did live through it

as for the hot water thing thats a once and done thing when you take it out of the box to get the creases out from being jam packed in the box.   

i never had to take a shower with my DSD bet that made for an interesting story

they look great and i like the fact that the can be deflated and stuffed away for a long hike. got mine for $67 so at almost half the price of DSD at $120 it was a no brianer

for $67 dollars they are a great decoy though

LilFridWV

I use to have Primos jake mobile with a real jake fan and she mobile. I had a gobbler coming up over the ridge to my setup. Gobbler popped on the flat I was on and came charging in at the decoys. He got about 8 yards and spooked and flew off. I think he couldn't see jake, just she mobile. The decoy puts a dominant appearance. That's why I saved my money and bought DSD perfect pair. They look realistic as heck!

alloutdoors

I have seen them take 35 pellets and not leak, will they live through a direct hit NO but no decoy will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjP7JKPlk4  Jump to about 3:45 to see a DSD take two shotgun loads.

Is there any actual documentation of this LCD that lived through 35 pellets?  I'm curious because they seem like a decent decoy but that would be my major concern with them. 

nstrut

i still use the feather flex..i use them in the fields or in the woods they work just fine..i think we all get hooked on some this new stuff..me included

OldMarine

Never used one in 50 years of turkey hunting,but I may try one this spring to see what all the fuss is about.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

4nwtf

I looked at them at the convention and they are HEAVY.  I have used several different types of dekes and i would hate to carry that thing very far.  DSD looks better and is more user friendly IMO.