turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

remi 1187 20 ga 21 barrel

Started by gooblnfever, April 08, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooblnfever

i took the plunge and picked up a 20 ga to play with and need some thoughts from yall.
i have a jellyhead .570 and shot the gun yesterday with not so great results imo.
10" circle 40 yds
3" hevi 13 6s 98 in 10
3" mag blend 85 in 10
2 3/4 nitro 7s 120 in 10 (kids shell)

thinking bout getting rhino .575 and shoot some nitro megaweights.
what do yall think?

Dbrnmllr

What did the 2.75 Nitros look like outside the 10?  That seems like a winner and the benefit is a lot less recoil!

mightyjoeyoung

Those numbers seem a bit low.  I'm getting 130's- 140s with the .570 JH and either of the 2 hevi shot loads you shot below 100 with.  Have you deep cleaned and or pollished the barrel?  I did mine and saw about a 12-15% increase in numbers with better eveness.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gooblnfever

the barrel has been deep cleaned.i havnt polished the barrel but i will soon.
the 2 3/4 nitro had a good 20" pattern as well but i didnt count that yet.

wmd

I was getting pretty low numbers out of the same gun until I went with the SSX .550.  With the hevi-7s, I am getting in the 160s and in the 120s with the Mag Blends.  My gun just would not shoot the heavyweight 7s.  I think I only broke 100 a couple of times.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: wmd on April 08, 2012, 01:44:06 PM
I was getting pretty low numbers out of the same gun until I went with the SSX .550.  With the hevi-7s, I am getting in the 160s and in the 120s with the Mag Blends.  My gun just would not shoot the heavyweight 7s.  I think I only broke 100 a couple of times.

Those HW 7's can be tricky buggers to get to shoot.  Thank the FC wad for that.  If you do actually find a choke that will get your gun to shoot them well you will have a true, died in the wool killer in your hands for sure! 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

st8tman

I experienced very similar numbers with the same gun shooting HW 7's out of both a Rem Super Full .570 as well as a Trulock .585. I ended up getting a SSX .550 from Clark and the performance skyrocketed. 140's-150's with nice even patterns and good 20" coverage.

honker22

Try the Rem SF choke for that 20.  You can get it for $10 or $20, depending on where you look.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.