turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tennessee Guys

Started by Tom Foolery, April 07, 2012, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkTNturkeyhunter

ive hunted 4 days this week here in mountains in east TN heard 1 bird worked him for about an hour an a half got him within 50 yards just over a little hump and he hung up.but thats been it this week theve took lock jaw for some reason.Got this on opening morning.
img]

pullit

Saw 3 hens and about an hour later saw 2 jakes, everything was as quite as a church house mouse. Heard on gobble fire off one gobble, but could not do anything about is as the jakes were less than 15 yrds from me. By the time they left, where ever the gobbler was, he had moved on as was keeping his mouth shut.

gtrjames

Went Saturday morning not expecting much but heard one sound off about 6:20....he was all alone across a heavily wooded creek.... got him with a load of Hevi 13 6s at 7:50...great hunt.

turkeywhisperer935

probably one of them years you better be glad to get what you get when you get it, I think because of the warm weather earlier than usual this spring they started early in west TN, and are about done. saw to many lonely hens and toms alike. came in good for me for the first week now won't do anything. time to bushwhack and I hate hunt'n that way.

gtrjames

Yeah I really wish season could have started in early March...it would have been more along normal lines.
However, if you can strike a gobbler now, you stand a pretty good chance of killing him.

turkey_slayer

Its not done yet.  The hatch this past year was excellent. Even though a lot are seeing lone hens theres still plenty that are with the toms.  It will break loose soon.

reynolds243

on my farms in Wilson, Trousdale and Smith Counties it is as good as it has been all year for gobbling after flydown and actually being able to call in.

pullit

Quote from: reynolds243 on April 17, 2012, 10:34:48 AM
on my farms in Wilson, Trousdale and Smith Counties it is as good as it has been all year for gobbling after flydown and actually being able to call in.

Can I come hunt with you. Where I am, you would think they all packed up and moved away.

gophert

Gobbling constantly until about 8:00 in Wilson County.  Unfortunately they have a bunch of ladies with them.  Last week they left the hens around 8:30...today they were still with them.  I couldn't hang around, the office was calling. 

Hootowl

Got some ground in Picket Co. Tenn, I have never Hunted it, I was woundering if any of you guys are that far East, The land in Picket Co, I do not owne, But I do have 80 acers in Clinton Co Ky and a total of 200 acers to Hunt, Heard any news from them parts, I live in Indiana and are season is still 8 days off.

Hoot

whiskey

I had 4 gobbling on roost saturday morning. One gobbled all the way to me, but couldn't close the deal. Sunday had one gobbling at noon, but he was homosexual and left with his buddy showing no interest in hen sounds. Saw one in full strut at noon today and he was still there strutting 30 minutes later when I came back from lunch.

gtrjames

I haven't seen any jakes this year...hopefully it's because the big old gobbler ran them off.

Tom Foolery

Nary a gobble this morning. 

I did call in a coyote to 5yds........straight behind me.  It got an arse full of 6's as it left.

I left when the monsoon started.

HuntSource

It's been a tough year on my farm in Williamson, Co. Toms were relatively hot beginning two weeks before season and for the first full week. They've been quiet since. There's a flock of 7-8 hens that frequents the same field and I haven't seen a tom with them in 10 days. During the day, I've been seeing single hens feeding through the middle of the day. I'm convinced those hens are sitting nests already.

The mild winter/early spring really hurt things around here. The big winter flocks with 50-100 hens broke and dispersed at least three weeks early this year. I started seeing toms establishing pecking order in prime fields much earlier too. I drove several backroads in eastern Williamson mid-week get an idea of whether the issue was  mostly local to my area (i.e., College Grove) or broader. I saw two toms and three jakes is quite a bit of early morning driving. In most years, I would see 20+ out working fields.

chipper

Heard 2 gobble a long ways off this morning, they gobbled 4 or 5 times hit the ground and shut up in Benton County.