OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

18" Barrel for Turkey Hunting.

Started by double00, April 07, 2012, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double00

Hello,

Excellent Forum!

I have a question: I have a Beretta TX4, it has an 18" barrel. I am considering putting an Aimpoint Micro T-1 on it and using it for turkey hunting

How many of you use an 18" barrel for turkey hunting and would this be a good set up with the T-1?

Positive and negative comments would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

mightyjoeyoung

Is the barrel threaded for chokes?  I can't remember if the Storms are threaded or not.  If not then no, as it would have a cylinder bore barrel and I'm not sure even the FC wad would help much.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BOFF

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 07, 2012, 06:37:41 PM
Is the barrel threaded for chokes?  I can't remember if the Storms are threaded or not.  If not then no, as it would have a cylinder bore barrel and I'm not sure even the FC wad would help much.

Yes it is.

Haven't finished mine up yet. Here's My M2 which has been my current gun for the last 2 years, and the TX4.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,14914.0.html

God Bless,
David B. :P

30_06

My gun came with a 24" barrel, but I would hunt with an 18" one as long as it patterned well.

captin_hook

If I didn't already have my turkey rig set up, id go with a 18 in. barrel over my 21. With the chokes we have and the htl loads, good patterns aren't hard to find out of a 18.

captin_hook

Hey boff, that's a nice m2, great pattern out of a shorty.

3toe

I currently shoot a Winchester 1300 Short Turkey, 18.5"barrel, .655 Comp-n-choke, and Winchester Supreme #6 and it is a turkey killer. 

mikejd

Boff those are some nice rigs you have there. 3toe I'm jealous I have been looking for a 1300 short for a while now.

3toe

Yeah Mike, they are definitely hard to find these days.  I believe Winchester quit making them in 2005.   The few times I have seen them for sale they have been all over the board, $450-$750.  A lot of people mistake the Winchester NWTF 1300 for the Short Turkey.  Not sure why the Short Turkey never took off.  I would guess people were skeptical of the short barrel for shots out to 40 yds.  I don't get Nitro/Rhino patterns out of mine but I consistently get around 180+/- in a 10" circle at 40 yds out of my set up.  I need to polish the barrel and I am sure those will go up.  The barrel has never been polished since I have had it.  

mikejd

3 toe I don't think that it never took off but rather Winchester closed up at just about that time. remember they started making only a few models over seas. The 1300 was not one of them along with the mdl 70 and 94 go figure.
Anyway I will keep looking. You Know the sad part was I was planning on buying it before it disapeared. Oh well as my dad says you snooze you loose.