turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke testing....

Started by mossyoakpro, April 06, 2012, 06:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

Since I am just getting started on the 20 ga wagon I need to know which choke to start testing so as not to waste a lot of ammo before I get to it...

I have 3 to try out....it was 4 until I was told not to shoot HTL out of a rem choke.

1) Pure Gold Tempest .570
2) Primos Tightwad .570
3) Truglo SSX .550

Of these 3 which should I start with and most likely get my best patterns with Fed HW #7's?

Thanks in advance!!
Phillippians 4:13

mightyjoeyoung

Also might want to look hard at the Carlson's .575 non-ported superfull.  I just got mine yesterday and I gotta say I was impressed by the patterns it put out with the HW 7s. :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Waddle Whacker

You've got three good ones there. Alot of folks on here put up good numbers with the SSX, I'm not one of them. I think I averaged around 100 @ 40 with that choke. I settled on the TightWad, averaging low-mid 140's with the Fed 7's out of an 870, 21" barrel. Good luck with your testing, and after you pack that 20 a few times you won't care to tote the 12 anymore, I know I don't.

darron

With the SSX and hevi 7's I was getting in the 150's.

SSX and FHW 7's blew away the hevi 7's as you can see from the attached pic

FullChoke

I have not patterned this combination yet, but I have seen some awesome posted results with the SSX and the Fed FC HW#7s.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

msgobblergetter

Quote from: mossyoakpro on April 06, 2012, 06:57:41 PM
Since I am just getting started on the 20 ga wagon I need to know which choke to start testing so as not to waste a lot of ammo before I get to it...

I have 3 to try out....it was 4 until I was told not to shoot HTL out of a rem choke.

2) Primos Tightwad .570
3) Truglo SSX .550

Of these 3 which should I start with and most likely get my best patterns with Fed HW #7's?

Thanks in advance!!

Not sure who told you not to shoot HTL from your rem choke, but if its the Rem Super Full you are safe whether its the lead only version or Hevi version.  As a matter of fact, the lead only version shoots h13 7's better than the hevi version in my 1187.  I would add it to your line up to test.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: msgobblergetter on April 06, 2012, 11:57:26 PM

2) Primos Tightwad .570
3) Truglo SSX .550

Thanks in advance!!

Not sure who told you not to shoot HTL from your rem choke, but if its the Rem Super Full you are safe whether its the lead only version or Hevi version.  As a matter of fact, the lead only version shoots h13 7's better than the hevi version in my 1187.  I would add it to your line up to test.

And like I have said before...  Those chokes (the ones that say lead only), are rated that way by the manufacturer for a reason.  Especially the older stuff wasn't made out of stronger materials or specially hardened and tempered so that they can handle the stresses of having htl shot jammed through them.  The first time you shoot some htl shot through one and it fractures or bulges and jams itself in the barrel of your shotgun, what are you gonna tell remington or the choke maker? With so many quality htl approved chokes out there, it only makes sense to use your head and buy one that possibly won't leave you wondering how you're gonna get your gun fixed.   I have a friend that was shooting some hevi 6s through his lead only ventilator.  Went to clean his rig after patterning and it took a pair of channel locks to get the choke out of the barrel because the hard, unyielding shot caused it to bulge.  You shoot what you want...I'll be smart and use a choke approved for htl.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 07, 2012, 11:19:20 AM
Quote from: msgobblergetter on April 06, 2012, 11:57:26 PM

2) Primos Tightwad .570
3) Truglo SSX .550

Thanks in advance!!

And like I have said before...  Those chokes (the ones that say lead only), are rated that way by the manufacturer for a reason.  Especially the older stuff wasn't made out of stronger materials or specially hardened and tempered so that they can handle the stresses of having htl shot jammed through them.  The first time you shoot some htl shot through one and it fractures or bulges and jams itself in the barrel of your shotgun, what are you gonna tell remington or the choke maker? With so many quality htl approved chokes out there, it only makes sense to use your head and buy one that possibly won't leave you wondering how you're gonna get your gun fixed.   I have a friend that was shooting some hevi 6s through his lead only ventilator.  Went to clean his rig after patterning and it took a pair of channel locks to get the choke out of the barrel because the hard, unyielding shot caused it to bulge.  You shoot what you want...I'll be smart and use a choke approved for htl.

I agree 100%. Choke tubes are marked lead only for a reason.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mossyoakpro

From the looks of things the SSX ports have no bearing on the FC wad from the Feds?  I like the looks of that pattern, I may start with that one and go from there.

Any more comments on the 3 choke tubes I have to test??

Thanks again fellas!!!
Phillippians 4:13

mightyjoeyoung

Not for nothin darron, but you might wana recount that target.  I got 46 in the upper left quadrant.  Think you might have double counted a few.  I just shot a 164 and I gotta say it looks an awful lot like yours, just way more even. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 07, 2012, 09:01:23 PM
Not for nothin darron, but you might wana recount that target.  I got 46 in the upper left quadrant.  Think you might have double counted a few.  I just shot a 164 and I gotta say it looks an awful lot like yours, just way more even and with few/no holes.   not ragging on your pattern, just saying it doesn't look anywhere near 200.

darron

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 07, 2012, 09:01:23 PM
Not for nothin darron, but you might wana recount that target.  I got 46 in the upper left quadrant.  Think you might have double counted a few.  I just shot a 164 and I gotta say it looks an awful lot like yours, just way more even. 

When I counted I thought I saw a couple where numerous ones went through close to the same area making it tough to see exactly how many hits....nonetheless if I take 5 off every quadrant (which I'm not off that much) I am still in the 180's. IMO 180's is a fantastic 20ga number.

BlkJeep

In my 26" barrel I had great luck with the mag blends and the tightwad. But only tested it at 30 yds and I think it was around 155 @ 10". If that helps any?

chipper

I've had really good success with the SSX out of mine with the FCW and have shota high of 180 down to about 160 in the 10 at a taped 40. My son can really shoot that 20 but he shoots A LOT, personally believe 140's is about perfect and he was getting 130 to 140 average with that choke but he can shoot that gun with the SSX and has killed 2 Turkeys in the past week to prove it and eat both birds head up, one was at 35 and one was at 38, Both were DOA.

savduck

2) Primos Tightwad .570
3) Truglo SSX .550

Thanks in advance!!

Depends on what type of pattern you want. The 670 is gonna give you a good hunting pattern out to 40 with plenty of error built in. I've shot two through two different guns...they both put up 90 to 100 in 10 at 40 type patterns. The SSX is gonna be a little tighter with less margin of error.It will put up 140 to 150 type numbers at 40. The federals are funny in this choke if you don't keep it clean. The Hevi 7s through this choke will be in the mid 150s. Haven't shot the tight wad.
Georgia Boy