turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

cleaning a turkey

Started by rutnstrut, April 05, 2012, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutnstrut

whats the longest time you would wait to clean a turkey. reason i ask is the place im hunting this year is an hour from home and it is allready very hot this year and we still have another 9 days till our season even starts

spaightlabs

Why wait?  If you don't want to toss him in a  cooler with ice, chop his noggin off, pull his guts out as best yea can and dump a bag of ice into his cavity...

Reloader

Keep em in the shade and they'll be ok for a few hours. I like to clean mine within a couple hrs of the kill if its warm out. Never had one spoil even when going 3 hrs on a very warm day when kept in the shade. Always best to clean them quickly, but I haven't seen one spoil in a few hours.

You could always carry a 70qt cooler with a few frozen 2 liter bottles. That will keep the whole bird plenty cool until you get home.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

Kylongspur88

A few hours or so. I usually stand around the tailgate and B.S for a little while then break out the fillet knife. people want to pick him up and see how heavy he is etc.... If your hunting a ways from the house a cooler, some baggies and a bag of ice and your good.

rutnstrut