OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poults already here in central VA

Started by barry, April 05, 2012, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

A friend asked me last week if I knew anyone that wanted some baby turkeys, I just assumed they from some tame birds.
NOPE!
Her uncle ran over a nest while bush hogging a couple weeks ago that had 15 eggs in it. He took them and hatched them out.
Poults in March...this is one crazy spring!!! Over 30 some years of spring hunting the earliest I've ever seen poults here is first of May.

jakebird

That is crazy. Check the laws before anybody gets in trouble though. Most states have laws against possessing or sale of wildlife like that. Just a heads up.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

forcercon1

barry

Ol'Mossy

pseshooter300

There was a topic on another forum a guy seen a hen with poults around knoxville Tn a week or so ago
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

turkey slayer

Hookhunter

That's absolutely nuts!!! I would like to here all the " turkeys breed according to daylight not temp"people explain that one. When you hear of stuff like poults in march kinda don't know what to  think

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

Flydown

Now Barry,I'm a true believer in anything you say but She must have been a crack hen that had to have her fix early. No signs of poults in my neck of the woods in Bama.Waaaaaay to early in my opinion. And for yalls sake I hope this was a "Freak" accident. ;D ;D ;D

30_06

Saw a hen with some poults in western NC a week ago.

ground control

I had always went with the daylight/breeding and temps/gobbling theory. That was until I seen a Tom attempting to breed a hen back in early or mid march. Been seein hens go off to nest for awhile now. Won't be shocked to see poults anytime. I don't know what to think anymore. Birds have been gobbling HARD on and off the limb. Don't seem overly henned up either. Middle Tennessee.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Blackduck

I know of 4 or 5 different sets of poults seen by different people in VA in the last week. This season is gonna be over before it gets here.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Hunt hard the first two weeks, boys.

I want to be wrong, but I think it's going to be over fast.

bbcoach

I think it's already over here in Eastern NC.  I haven't seen any poults yet but where I'm scouting and took a youth out on Saturday, we are seeing lone hens by themselves feeding and Gobblers by themselves.  Very little gobbling going on.  Hunt hard Everyone.

carp84

Personally I think that early breeding could make for great hunting. I know here in WI I find the late season to be great hunting after most hens have breed and are on eggs. I also know that hens will re-breed if young are lost (have found hens on eggs in early july more then once) that means some toms must be willing to have some fun.