Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got a Double with a Turkey Hunting Legend!!

Started by HoggleGobble, April 05, 2012, 09:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

Went down to Evergreen, Alabama, and hunted with THE LEGEND HIMSELF, Eddie Salter!! It was absolutely awesome!!!! He is an AWESOME caller, as well as an awesome individual! A Great guy!! Can't talk highly enough of him! Got on alot of birds the whole trip!! We were heading to one of his hunting spots, and spotted two gobblers crossing the road. We saw a woman pulling out of a driveway about 20 yards away, and stopped to ask whose land it was. She said that it was hers, and that we could hunt them but she wanted the breast!! Well, twenty minutes later, we counted ONE, TWO, BOOM!!!!! Both gobblers dropped, and come to find out, both were 3, maybe even 4 year olds!! Getting a double with my buddy, and Eddie Salter doing the calling was a memory of a lifetime!

Eddie's wife is as sweet as she can be, and is one of the BEST cooks I have ever met. I am still thinking about her Grape Salad!! Truly great people, and I am happy that they shared their god given talents with us!!

We even stopped by this place, where I lost $100 due to their sausages tasting so good... At least my freezer is slap full now!! Met and talked to the owner of Conecuh Sausage company for a while (Another great guy)

And then we drove by Eddies old barber shop. Where it all started! What a nice walk down history lane! He started out selling calls out of this barber shop.

He is a great guy, and if you ever have a chance to hunt with him, don't pass up the opportunity!! He is truly a Turkey Hunting Legend!!

FANMAN

Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime....Congrats. Chad   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

ghillie

Very nice!!  Great birds!! Congrats!!!      :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Roostem33

Sounds like a good time, Congratulations on the nice gobblers!!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

JVA54

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Rio Fan

That's very cool, congrats.  Eddie put on a turkey clinic last spring near my hometown and one of my buddies talked to him for a long time after it was over.  He said Eddie was a very nice guy and fun to talk to.

lightsoutcalls

I can't help myself... Did he owl hoot after the shot?  ;D

Sounds like a great time.  
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

jakebird

Sounds like an unforgettable trip! I have tentatively scheduled a hunt with one of eddie's pals from HS. We'll see if he gets back to me in the next couple of weeks.....Treasure every moment and every token you learned from a guy like that!  :)
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Wingbone

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Eric Gregg

RutnNStrutn

I'll just say WOW!!!! :o
What a trip!! That sounds like some fantastic memories there!!
Oh yeah, and congrats on your birds too!! :icon_thumright:

redarrow

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Funny about the barber shop cause thats where Harold and David got there start in what use to be Golden Pond KY.

HoggleGobble

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on April 05, 2012, 10:41:17 AM
I can't help myself... Did he owl hoot after the shot?  ;D

Sounds like a great time.  

He did!! It was awesome!! He has a very realistic owl hoot and jake gobble!

runngun

Man to me that would be my dream hunt right there!!! Congrats to you on a fine hunt!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.