OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Enlighten me on the different types of turkey loads

Started by gobblercop, April 04, 2012, 09:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt-N-Gobble

Yep..........You should go ahead and polish & deep clean that barrel.  191 pellets isn't really a low number, but being that you are using a 3.5" shell, you could probably do better.  For reference, my gun, a Rem 11-87 using 3" Magblends gets 180 in the 10" and my handloads are getting 180-210 with 1 3/4oz shot, depending on the load.

But utimately, if your happy with your guns performance, thats really all that matters.  Get it sighted in @ 40yds and you'll be killing the turkeys all day within reasonable ranges.

captpete

Quote from: gobblercop on April 06, 2012, 08:35:56 PM
No deep clean, no anything.  Just loaded and fired...

What???   ??? ??? ??? NO deep cleaning or polishing?  :o :o :o How did you even get that gun to fire?

OK, I couldn't help myself. :-[ :-[ :-[  It just seems that the standard answer to every question is to deep clean & polish the barrel. Sorry, I don't have any other info for you.

chatterbox

Quote from: gobblercop on April 06, 2012, 07:22:27 PM
Okay, I took yalls advice and bought some 3 1/2 mag blend hevi shot (ridiculously expensive by the way).  I shot my benelli nova at 40 yds and then drew a 10 inch circle into the most dense area of pellets.  Inside of the circle, I counted 191 pellets in a evenly patterned shot.  Definetely improvement for me, but where do these numbers stand on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being as good as you could ask for?
That number will kill a turkey any day of the week, and probably twice on Sundays. :icon_thumright:
Get your POA/POI lined up, and go kill birds.

ground control

Definitely a lethal pattern. I shoot a SBE2 with a 26" barrel and an Indian creek tube. Barrel is lightly polished and deep cleaned and my best pattern with mag blends is 194@40yds. Take that 191 and make some widows with it!
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"