turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Enlighten me on the different types of turkey loads

Started by gobblercop, April 04, 2012, 09:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblercop

I've had people tell me things like, "If your dead set on lead..........shoot this type of ammo.......".  Well, that makes me feel like there is something BETTER out there.  I'm REALLY new to this guys, I need all the info I can get, and I want to stack the odds in my favor as best I can.  Are there farther traveling, harder hitting, tighter pattern producing loads?  And if so, what type?  I am shooting a 26'' 12 ga Benelli Nova with a Jellyhead choke, so I can shoot any size shell.  I'm speaking SPECIFICALLY about the actual type of load, size of load, brand of load.....so on and so forth.  I really have NO CLUE what I'm shopping for when I go hunting for turkey shells.  Right now, I'm shooting Remington Nitro #5's.  This contains only 1 7/8 ounces of shot.  HELP ME PLEASE!

msgobblergetter

The general consensus is that Hevi-13, Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends, Winchester Xtended Range, and Federal Heavy Weight are the going trend for heavier than lead loads.  Winchester double X and high velocity seem to be the most popular lead loads here on OG.

Trevor2

Get ya some hevishot #7 or the magblends you won't be disappointed
Strutstopper

R AJ

When going to lead loads it is the 6s that usually help in pattern #s and they do the job to 40 yds pretty well. #5s are the first choice for many of those who can get around 100 pellets in a 10 " circle at 35-40 yds.

If you are shooting at 30 and under and using lead, the shot don't have the energy that HTL shot have but usually are capable of doing the job.

If you are into the 40 yard shot you need to think more along the HTL loads.
The federal HW in #7s has the punch of #5 lead at a given distance and velocity plus you get a pretty well- filled in pattern. With the JH choke you might consider the H-13 3-2-#6 or #7 or even the 3.5- 2.25 #6 or #7 load if you are wanting every advantage with no regard to cost. Good luck to you.

gobblercop

Ok,

After gathering you pro's expertise, and reviewing online while I waited for your answers, it looks like the Heavy 13's #6's and the blends will be in my shopping cart this weekend and I'll be comparing the two before I hit the field this season.  Thanks for your help.

Trevor2

Quote from: gobblercop on April 04, 2012, 09:51:07 PM
Ok,

After gathering you pro's expertise, and reviewing online while I waited for your answers, it looks like the Heavy 13's #6's and the blends will be in my shopping cart this weekend and I'll be comparing the two before I hit the field this season.  Thanks for your help.

Wise choice while I shoot lead and hevi shot bothyou will be pleased with the hevishot. Lead will do the job at 40 yards if you can get a good even pattern. Good luck and keep us posted
Strutstopper

gobblercop

I hear the HTL should work to my advantage and I should shoot 7's vs the 6's so that I throw more shot down range and it would hit similar to lead #6's.  Is my train of thought correct?  Your thoughts?

FttFttVroom!

Yes, hevi 7's will do that, if not even better than a lead 6.  When I was patterning with hevi and lead, the hevi 7's penetrated into a 2x4 target frame deeper than lead 6's and very close to the lead 5's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on April 04, 2012, 10:14:39 PM
Yes, hevi 7's will do that, if not even better than a lead 6.  When I was patterning with hevi and lead, the hevi 7's penetrated into a 2x4 target frame deeper than lead 6's and very close to the lead 5's.

That's about right. 

7's will zip plum thru a turkey head and neck at let's just say 40yds very easily.   

mcgruff1533

The biggest benefit to shooting HTL over lead comes from it's higher density.     Each HTL pellet is heavier per given size than an equal size lead pellet.

This allows the shooter to use smaller size shot and still carry enough energy per pellet to put Mr. Gobbles down.     Smaller pellets= more pellets in a given payload, and typically better pattern density downrange. 

I'm a big fan of Hevi #7 shot in either their 3 inch, 2 oz load, or the 3.5 inch, 2.25 oz load.     Both loads have dropped several birds at 40 yards without any trouble.

pdaugherty

I'd go with the HEVI-13 3.5 2 1/4 #7 if you're shooting that JH choke, that is one bad combination in that Benelli. You should get the results youre looking for at 40yds and have a very dense even pattern.

HogBiologist

You will hear about many different types of shot material on this web site.  The two main types are Lead and Heavier Than Lead (HTL)

A.   Lead includes all forms of lead, i.e. pure lead, copper coated, nickel plated, etc.  Standard lead is around 11 grams per Cubic Centimeter (g/cc)

B.   HTL includes these different types
a.   HeviShot & H-13– Produced by Environmetal, alloy material, 12 g/cc
b.   Federal Heavy Weight – Available from Federal in their HW shells only, 15 g/cc
c.   Tungsten shot (various brands) that range around 14 – 15 g/cc
d.   Tungsten Super Shot (TSS) – specialty item that is best discussed with the more knowledgeable members of this site.  It is 18 g/cc.
e.   Winchester XR - somewhere in density between lead and Hevishot.

C.   You may also here about "Nitro Shells".  These are not Remington Nitro Shells.  They are specialty loads produced by the Nitro Ammunition Company. 

D.   HTL pellets allow for a reduction in pellet size while retaining energy and effectiveness.  What I mean is that: a smaller, harder, and denser pellet can penetrate materials better than a larger, softer, less dense material.  Also a smaller, denser material will be less affected by wind drift increasing core pattern density (the pellets in the 10" circle).  While these HTL materials may increase the distance of lethal range, IT DOES NOT NECESSESSARILY INCREASE EFFECTIVE RANGE.  Do not count on that "Magic pellet".  You must have the pattern density to consistently harvest a bird.  That range is determined by your equipment. 

Certified Wildlife Biologist

gobblercop

Okay, I took yalls advice and bought some 3 1/2 mag blend hevi shot (ridiculously expensive by the way).  I shot my benelli nova at 40 yds and then drew a 10 inch circle into the most dense area of pellets.  Inside of the circle, I counted 191 pellets in a evenly patterned shot.  Definetely improvement for me, but where do these numbers stand on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being as good as you could ask for?

mightyjoeyoung

With that gun/choke?  Providing it wasn't deep cleaned and or pollished?  About a 6/10 maybe.  It'll kill for sure and as long as it's an even pattern with a good fringe you should be alright.  Pollish and deep clean that gun and your numbers should go up.  I get around 200+ out of my 1300 shooting 3" Mag Blends, so yolu should be able to top that.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gobblercop

No deep clean, no anything.  Just loaded and fired...