OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spray painting a gun barrel?

Started by Kyfoster11, April 04, 2012, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyfoster11

I was thinking of spray painting my shotgun barrel and was wondering what I need to prep the barrel with first to remove the oil?  Anyone that has had any experience with this...all info with be greatly appre.
thanks alot
rkf

Deputy 14

Use some type of spray primer. It'll help keep the paint on.

Sand Man

I painted mine, and I'm very happy with the results.

I used a fine grit sand paper to sand down the barrel to bare metal.  I then took paint thinner to clean off all the residue as well as oil from my finger prints.  Wear gloves when you wipe down to keep from getting any oil from your hands on the barrel.  After it dried, I coated the barrel with two coats of primer.  Go very light on the spay as to not over spray and have runs.   After the 2nd coat had dried, I sanded it down with a very fine grit sand paper to make sure it was smooth.  I then wiped down with a water base solvent body shops use to remove the reside due to paint thinner removing the primer.  After it had drive, I camo painted the barrel and sealed it with matt clear coat.

Here are some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k7VY0B-v7az79LOjlCPWk1WQtTHNX5PWTlLcpL8yjhk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-fSLQvMt640Xxjg-O4EwU1WQtTHNX5PWTlLcpL8yjhk?feat=directlink

I know.  Terrible phone pics.  I need to take some better ones in the sun with my wife's DSLR.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Mike Honcho

Sand Man your gun looks great!  Birchwood Casey makes an inexpensive cleaner you can buy to prep before painting...I believe  it is actually prep step before using cold blue to degrease.

I tried automotive lacquer thinner once and I think it is too strong...it actually dulled the blue finish....fortunately it was only on the magazine tube and hidden under the forend.   It woudld not recommend that as a cleaner or prep on a gun.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Kyfoster11

Thanks for the info.....Sand man your gun looks great!
ky

paladin

extra fine sandpaper.
cheap brake cleaner.
prime. sand again lightly.
paint.
"have gun-will travel"