OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Choke for Rem

Started by FL-Boss, April 01, 2012, 10:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

I have a Remington 1187 – 26in barrel.  I have been playing with the Indian creek  - not that impressed.  My question... if you were going to try a different choke.. what would be your first choice?  Seems like from my reading the PG or Hevi Choke?
If the pure gold.. what size for the 26 in barrel... 660.. or 670?   I shoot 3in MAG blend.  Thanks

msgobblergetter

Pure Gold .670 with that barrel length hands down.  You might also consider the Jelly Head.

SKFOOTER

I've tried 'em all with the 3" Mag Blends and the Hevi-13 .662 choke was the winner hands down in my Remingtons.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 01, 2012, 10:53:55 PM
I have a Remington 1187 – 26in barrel.  I have been playing with the Indian creek  - not that impressed.  My question... if you were going to try a different choke.. what would be your first choice?  Seems like from my reading the PG or Hevi Choke?
If the pure gold.. what size for the 26 in barrel... 660.. or 670?   I shoot 3in MAG blend.  Thanks

First of all welcome to OG. I know you'll like it. It's a very good place and there are lots of good folks here.

I am seeing excellent results with the Hevi-13 turkey choke and so are many of my readers.

I'd recommend it as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

FL-Boss

lol.. I guess I'm at least on the right track with picking on of those 2 chokes.  1 for 1 ...so far, keep the votes coming.  I may also try HEVI 3in #7 as well for whats it worth.  But for sure.. it will also be 3in MAG blends or #7

Deputy 14

I like the hevi choke in my 870. Shoots mag blends and 7s each really well. Nice even patterns and good even density.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I will be totally honest with you and I have shot Pure Gold, Indian Creek, and they are great chokes.  But you pay for them.  I have shot both .660 and .665 Jelly Head chokes and I wasn't impressed at all.  But I know others have been.  For the money spent, you won't find a better shooting choke than the Rem Ventilator .655 for about $22 shipped from CDNN.  This chokes cost 3 times less than Indian Creek and Pure Gold and will beat them in my honest opinion.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/re8712exratu.html

Like I said for the money, you won't find a better shooting lead or HTL choke.  You could buy 2 more boxes of Hevi-13 if you buy this choke vs paying about $70 for the others that won't consistently shoot as good. 

FL-Boss

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/re8712exratu.html

My other turkey gun ( 870) came with one of those Rem extra full turkey chokes. I never even thought about trying it out... just threw it to the side when I got the gun.   I guess it wouldnt hurt to try that choke in the 1187.. who knows... it may be real good.

FL-Boss

I also just ordered the HEVI choke.... I'll try some 3in MAG blend and #7 through that choke along with the factory Rem turkey choke.

Longshanks

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 02, 2012, 02:40:07 PM
I also just ordered the HEVI choke.... I'll try some 3in MAG blend and #7 through that choke along with the factory Rem turkey choke.

Ventilator .655 is hard to beat. I shot Indian Creek, Jelly Head, Kicks, Hastings, etc in my 870's.    The Ventilator turned the best patterns with lead and HTL by far.  12.00 plus shipping..cant beat it.

169 in a 10 @ 40 Win XX 3/2/6's  Pb
275 in a 10 @ 40 Hevi 3/2/7's

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Longshanks on April 02, 2012, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: FL-Boss on April 02, 2012, 02:40:07 PM

Ventilator .655 is hard to beat. I shot Indian Creek, Jelly Head, Kicks, Hastings, etc in my 870's.    The Ventilator turned the best patterns with lead and HTL by far.  12.00 plus shipping..cant beat it.

169 in a 10 @ 40 Win XX 3/2/6's  Pb
275 in a 10 @ 40 Hevi 3/2/7's
But that .655 may be a little tight for the Mag Blends.

FL-Boss

that is what I was thinking as well. 

Longshanks

So...why do you have to shoot the mag blends? I have found the mag-blend patterns to be less than satisfactory in all of my guns. Even with good killing patterns which I found with Beretta Urika/ Pure Gold .670...most of the holes I was looking at were 7's. Switched that combo to Hevi 3/2/7's and the pellet count went up 50-60 pellets. I buy the choke and then figure out what shell it shoots best. Going at it the other way hasn't been very productive for me.  :anim_25:

FL-Boss

I ordered some 3/2/7 HEVI... going to try those against the mag blend.   I may get the Ventilator Rem choke too.. since it's real cheap.