OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shoot a coyote or gobbler

Started by BOFF, February 07, 2011, 08:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunting situation. Big Gobbler on the right of barrel, coyote on left of barrel. Can only shoot one. Which one do you choose and why?

Coyote
Big Gobbler
Neither, I was asleep
Neither, I wanted to watch what would happen.

Jay

st4wheel

R yall crazy??  Shoot them yotes all yr round  A gobbler in range he bout to die!
LIMBHANGER

northms

I'd shoot the bird, shuck a shell, and swing on the coyote and see what happens. 

FullChoke

I would shoot the gobbler.

When I go turkey hunting, I hunt turkeys.  I have target species in mind when I go hunting. I am not much interested in shooting anything else. I don't kill just to kill, this includes snakes, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons or feral dogs.

I do make a provision for a pig though.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Long Beard 2372

I'm shoot'n the gobbler then we will see what happens to Wiley if he sticks around long enough.
Honesty is my only excuse...

Kylongspur88

I have had coyotes come in several times, but never close enough for a shot. I would shoot the Gobbler thought and she if I could get the yote with a follow up. On 2 occasions I have watched bob cats stalk turkeys. One time in particular I was deer hunting way back in the holler. 2 long beards came through feeding their way to the roost and a bobcat was about 20 yrds behind them. The woods were dry and it amazed me how silently that cat moved. Gobblers had no clue he was there. Neither was in season, I waved my arms and the turkeys took off and the bobcat seemed ticked as he trotted down the hill.

dirtnap

Both.  The turkey would be first.

camp man

I voted that I would shoot the gobbler. I have called in a few coyotes while turkey hunting and they have all came in loping with their head held high. I don't see how they ever catch a turkey if that is the usual tactic. It seems that the turkey would see or hear them coming. I know I sure did. By the way, two of those coyotes didn't make it out...

earlybird

Coyote would be in trouble,i've done this several times in different states and i always shoot the coyote first.I guess its the fact that they are a bit harder to kill so i'll take one any time i get the chance. :z-guntootsmiley:

hobbes

How many adult toms do your really think a coyote is successful in killing?  I doubt he has much impact in the overall health of the turkey population.   I'd say killing skunks, opossums and racoons would do more good than that one coyote.

My brother did kill a rough looking female yote that ran in a second time while we were working a group of toms.  I was back behind him a ways, so I couldn't see it.  The toms had already made it pretty clear they weren't coming in or he probably wouldn't have shot her.  He bumped the yote the first time, but she must not have got a good enough look to convince her that the decoy he had out wasn't real.  She had to come in for a second look and that was more than he could take.  I thought he had shot one of the toms until he came walking back to me.  

swamp_bird89

Gobbler fo sho........curious for the people that havent seen a coyote yet...are they just not in your area? I see them all the time but spend some serious time in the woods.

flintlock

I'd "TRY" to shoot them both - the double 12ga muzzleloader would be blazin'.  Gobbler first, then the yote.   You never know.

Here is the last one I shot during turkey not long ago, came sneaking in and I let him get to 10 yards.

:z-guntootsmiley:
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

BOFF

Quote from: flintlock on February 08, 2011, 06:37:39 PM
I'd "TRY" to shoot them both - the double 12ga muzzleloader would be blazin'.  Gobbler first, then the yote.   You never know.

Here is the last one I shot during turkey not long ago, came sneaking in and I let him get to 10 yards.

:z-guntootsmiley:

Great pic flintlock!! Your smile says it all!!

I guess since I started the tread I can highjack it .

*highjack on*

Please tell me about the gun in your picture.

God Bless,
David B.

doublelung

Quote from: bird on February 07, 2011, 08:51:11 AM

I'm shooting the gobbler.  Our hunting seasons here in Iowa have a limited number of day to fill a tag so I'm filling my tag.  The yote I can shoot 365 days a year 24/7.  I'll get him another time with no tag required. 

X2
I'd rather be in the woods thinking about God, than be in church thinking about being in the woods...

flintlock

BOFF,

Since you asked:  She is a double 12ga caplock (browned barrels) that a bud gave me some 4-5 years ago (wow, does time fly).  She shoots pretty good to 30yards, but kicks like a MULE!!!   

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!