OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting and Vegetation

Started by Cutt, March 30, 2012, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Just curious as to what phase you like the new vegetation growth at for turkey hunting?

Have always heard from old timers, turkey hunting is at it's best when new vegetation and leaves are the size of a squirrels ear? Or when the dogwoods start to bloom? Looking back, I kind of agree with vegetation the size of a squirrels ear, or mid bloom. Not sure the turkey hunting itself is better, but I do like some cover, but not full bloom? At least when vegetation is at mid bloom, one has a better chance of moving on a ridge top, without a gobbler seeing you on the next ridge, as opposed to early season with no vegetation, I feel many birds get bumped without even knowing when a Season starts off with no vegetation? Although advantages of mid bloom is one can see a bit, vs. full bloom which is normal late Season? Which in my opinion is a catch 22, as gobblers are more at ease working to open woods, vs. thick woods. So I guess as a birds stand point, less vegetation would be better, but not necessarily for the hunter? So when things really get thick, do you alter your setup? maybe hunting open edges, powerlines, fields etc., while taking advantage of the thick edge to disappear in?

I know when I first started turkey hunting many Seasons that open the same time as now, were barrain, with no vegetation at all. The trend now with warmer Springs has some vegetation to start, but this Season will definitely be full bloom come the start on April 28th.

Do you feel the overall condition of vegetation whether, none, mid bloom or full bloom has any advantages? And which condition do you prefer? I prefer mid bloom for the reasons I stated, but it looks like full bloom only this year?

deerhunt1988

I prefer mid to full bloom. Bird has to come closer to find the source of the calling.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on March 30, 2012, 06:47:39 PM
I prefer mid to full bloom. Bird has to come closer to find the source of the calling.

I agree,but it can backfire and the bird be real close,but you can't see him
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

redarrow

Harold Knight said , "When the leaves on a dogwood are the size of a mouse's ear."

Cutt

Quote from: redarrow on March 30, 2012, 07:55:36 PM
Harold Knight said , "When the leaves on a dogwood are the size of a mouse's ear."

If true, looks like we'll miss the best here? My Dogwood leaves are there or a bit more now, and can't hunt till April 28th :help: